Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Say No Lowe

According to Jon Heyman at SI.com, Derek Lowe is reportedly seeking a starting offer of $16 million per year. If that's the case, tell 'em what to say Mase, say no Lowe. Sorry, had to drop the De La Soul reference.

I'm sorry but Lowe isn't worth $16 mill per year at the age of 35 and if that's what it will take, I hope the Yankees pass. Tying up $16 million per year for a 35 year old pitcher doesn't make any sense to me. I can't imagine that Lowe would want a deal for less than 4 years either. I don't think it's wise to that that much money up into a pitcher on the down side of his career.

I also don't think that the #s Lowe put up in LA are going to hold up if he moves to the Bronx. I can see him performing much like did as a starter for the BoSox. Lowe did very well in his 1st year as a starter in 2002, going 21-8 with an ERA of 2.58, a WHIP of 0.97 and an opponents batting average of .211. In 2003, it looks like the league figured him out as his ERA ballooned to 4.47. Opponents hit .272 off him. 2004 was even worse for Lowe as his ERA was north of 5 (5.42)and the batting average was .299. In 2005, he went to LA , a pitcher's park and did quite well. If he moves back to the AL East, I see his #s being closer to what they were in 2003 and 2004, and that's not what I'd expect from a guy banking $16 mill.

It sounds like Lowe and super-agent Scott Boras believe Lowe is worth that much cheddar because Andy Pettitte got that much last season, when he was 35, same age as Lowe will be this year. Sorry, but Andy pretty much sucked last year. I can see Lowe maybe being worth that somewhere else, but not in NY.

I hope the Yankees have the good sense to stay out of the mix if this is really what Lowe is looking for. If they don't land Sabathia and/or A.J., I still would hope they wouldn't pay Lowe that much.

I love the hot stove.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: