Friday, April 27, 2007

Same Shizzle Different Dizzle

I was half-tempted to make this blog short and sweet. It was going to be 1 simple sentence: See yesterday's post. It would certainly fit. But then I changed my mind, so here I am.
Is this is the new definition of "Yankee baseball?" A lackluster pitching performance followed by some more shoddy pitching and if we're lucky, the offense will bail everybody out. I've never seen this style of baseball before. Not from the Yankees anyway.
What happened to Andy Pettitte in the 5th inning? Total meltdown. It's almost as if he was meant to pitch less than a full 5. Maybe it was something in that hour stretch of time. Like a mini jet-stream causing balls to change their trajectory mid-flight so they missed the strike zone. Both Pettitte and Dice-K were struggling with the control. It did Pettitte in. Dice-K escaped because the bottom of the Yankee order blows. I don't know what it is about the Yankee pitching staff, but they are all stinking up the joint. It doesn't even seem logical that they could be performing so poorly. Even the great Mariano can't even seem to get it done. Another 5 relievers used. It's getting tired. Special kudos to Mike Myers. Way to go.
I highly recommend that Bobby Abreu go visit an eye doctor. He's mired in his own Mientkiewicz-like slump. I never thought I'd say that. I'm at a loss for words here. I don't really know what else to say.
The only saving grace is that it's early and there's plenty of time to turn things around. I keep telling myself that they've been in this position before and thing will get better. But as each game plays out like the game from the day before, I get more and more frustrated. 7 losses in a row. Not a fun place to be.
I have tickets to tomorrow's Blue Jays/Rangers game. I was on the fence about going because I'd miss the Yanks/Sox game, but now, the decision is pretty easy. I'll likely end up listening to it on the radio. With any luck, I'll get a few autographs. I'm hoping to get Michael Young and Mark Teixiera on my team-USA WBC ball. And as much as I don't like Slammin' Sammy, I wouldn't pass it up.
Like yesterday this post was written well before the game ended. It's currently the top of the 9th and any chance of a Yankee comeback just went out the window. I'm just waiting for the game to end before I hit "publish." And Abreu grounds weakly to the pitcher. Shocker.
Oh, what I could have done with that 4 hours?
J

0 comments: