Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Despite Leaving The Free World On Base, Yanks Win 5-3

The Yankees may have won the game but this fan isn't too happy with their performance. The lack of hitting with men on base is disgusting. In the last 3 innings, Yankee hitters left 8 runners in base. Abreu went 0-2 and stranded 5. A-Rod went 0-2 and stranded 5. Damon stranded 3 and Giambi left 2 on. With the exception of Damon, that's the heart of the order and the guys that are supposed to knock in runs. I'll give Abreu a pass because he drove in a run with 2 outs in the 5th. The Yankees had 17 baserunners and managed 5 runs. They had a plenty an opportunity to score in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings and failed miserably. Pathetic.

Probably the worst thing to come from the offensive failures is that the Yankees had to use Mariano Rivera on back-to-back nights. This likely makes Mo unavailable for tomorrow night's game against Boston. No Mo and no Joba. Does that make LaTroy Hawkins the closer? Yikes. Mo was his typical self in the 9th. What a difference a year makes? The last thing I wanted to see happen was Carlos Pena get into the box as the tying run but Mo got him to ground out to Cano on the first pitch of the at bat. He picked up his 5th save but he never should have had to pitch.

I was amazed that Andy Pettitte lasted 7 innings and was somehow able to hold the Rays to only 3 runs. He was far from sharp but it was a very effective outing. He improved greatly as the game went on. He allowed 9 baserunners in the 1st 3 innings and only 3 in the last 4. It would have been a shame had the bullpen found a way to blow this. Andy worked for and deserved that win. He's a horse and I'm glad he's on my team.

How about that Kyle Farnsworth? I was praying for anybody but him in the 8th. I honestly thought we'd see Jonathan Albaladejo. I could not believe my eyes when he sent the Rays hitters down in order. I don't remember the exact statistic, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but last year Farnsworth had very few 1-2-3 innings. Ok, I looked it up. I think it was 16 times in 65 games. I think this is now his 2nd time in 6 games. A little better but not what we need. I don't know why Joe has faith in him? I'd never use him in that spot.

Jeter is swinging the bat real well since his hiatus. 3 hits and a walk. A key 2 out RBI single. That's how it's done. He's the captain for a reason. His average last year with 2 outs and RISP was .418. if there's a guy I want up with runners on and 2 outs it's the Captain. Everyone else needs to take note because that's how it's done. Short swings = base hits =runs batted in. It's that simple.

I guess in the end all that matters is that the Yankees won the game. I'm just a little displeased with what I saw. I want to see a finely tuned machine and what I'm seeing is the parts moving but never at the same time. The boys now get to go home for a two-game set with the BoSox, winners of 4 in a row. Thanks a lot Cleveland relievers. Our ace is on the hill. Wang gets the ball in a rematch against Clay Buchholz. Wang's last outing against the Sox can only be referred to as dominant. Chien-Ming pitches better at home so I'm expecting another good game from the Wangster.

We're sitting at 8-7 and a game out of first. All things considered it could be a lot worse.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: