There's really only one reason why the Yankees need to keep A-Rod around and quite frankly it's because he makes the team better. Let's take a look at some numbers, shall we?
I'm going to break this down and keep it simple and I need you to keep in mind that A-Rod went on the disabled list back in July and missed a stretch of 36 games, spanning from 7/25-9/3. Now, I didn't comb through the schedule to pull these #s. I pulled up the standings as of such-and-such a date. It's possible I may be off by 1 here and there. It's not enough to dispel what I'm trying to prove.
- Yankees W-L record after 7/24 game vs Seattle: 58-39 (.598) and had a 7 game lead.
- Yankees W-L record from 7/25-9/2: 18-18 (.500), lead dropped to 2
- Yankees W-L record from 9/3- end of season: 19-10 (.655) and finished 2 gamed ahead of Baltimore.
- Yankees W-L record w/A-Rod: 77-49 (.611)
- Yankees W-L record w/o A-Rod: 18-18 (.500)
- Cano's splits after 7/24 game (last game w/A-Rod): .317 avg, .376 OBP, .571 SLG, .947 OPS
- Cano's splits after 9/2 (last game without A-Rod): .303 avg, .366 OBP, .544 SLG, .910 OPS
- Cano's final season splits: .313 avg, .379 OBP, .550 SLG, .929 OPS
- Cano's average from 7/25-9/2 (while A-Rod was on DL): .263 (35 for 133)
- Cano's average from 9/3 thru end of season (when A-Rod was back): .353 (41 for 116)
I'm not going to get in to any more. It's enough for me to see that Alex provides a ton of value to the Yankees and they're not going to be better without him. If you think they will be you're nuts.
Last night I fired off a few tweets about Alex. I'm going to close with those as I think they sum up my feelings nicely:
If this was A-Rod's last game as Yankee, just want to say thanks to the guy. Without him there's no title in 09 & Yanks don't do as well. A-Rod got a raw deal in NY from media & fans. He could do no right. At times he carried team. They don't win close to what they did w/o him. A-Rod made lineup better and having him on team gave them best chance to win. Lots of goats on the team. Unfair he's only one scapegoat. I think Alex still has a lot of value. I hope the marriage isn't done. He may not be worth the $ but few would be. Not his fault. A-Rod isn't perfect & may be a douche at times. But he's a Yankee. A true Yankee that deserves the Pinstripes. You don't hate your own.
Peace, love and Pinstripes,