Friday, February 10, 2006

My Radio Debut

If anyone was listening to MLB Live w/ Ronnie "Night Train" Lane on XM Radio tonight, you may have heard my national radio debut. It was Flashback Friday. Flashback Friday is when listeners call in and request their favorite highlight from the 2005 season. So I thought it'd be a good time to remind Sox fans that we still rule the East. My request was the AL East clincher, when Johnny Damon grounded out to Rivera to give the Yankees their 8th straight division title. Now that didn't play the John Sterling clip which is what I was hoping for, but I imagine it went something like this: "Ballgame over!! American League Eastern Division over!! Yankees Win!! Thhhhhhhhhhe Yankees Win!!"
Here's the funny part. Prior to getting on the air, the call screener of course wants to know your highlight so they can cue it up. After explaining that I wanted to hear Damon ground out to Rivera, the guy said "That's impossible. Damon and Rivera were on the same team." I'm like "Huh?" Now after about 15 seconds of us going back and forth trying to convince each other who was right, he put me on hold, came back and said "Sorry man. It's been a long day. We'll have it coming up. Please hold." Now how can you work at a baseball only station and not know that Rivera and Damon were on opposite teams?? Especially when one plays for the Yankees and one for the Red Sox. Mind boggling.
For those of you baseball fans without an XM Radio subscription, I really suggest you get one. 24-7 baseball coverage that you can take with you wherever you go. I've had my radio for about 6 months and I listen to it daily. I play it all day when I'm at work and the tuner never leaves XM Home Plate 175. It comes in handy for those of you who can't access the Internet at work and listen to MLB.com. It's portable and it goes with me wherever I go. It's probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. XM and MLB are married for the next 11 years so I'll be an avid listener all year long. The best feature: I can turn off Tim McCarver and Joe Buck and listen to the play-by-play through the XM. That's quiet nice. So go out and pick one up. If you're a fan of MLB, you can't go wrong.
Stay Hot!
J-Boogie

0 comments: