Friday, February 23, 2007

This Can Only End Badly

What is this world coming to? Johnny Damon. Baseball player, husband, father, professional wrestler? One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong. Don't get me wrong, I like professional wrestling as much as the next guy, but I always wonder why highly paid professional athletes want to risk their careers by stepping into the ring. Professional wrestling has seen the likes of Dennis Rodman. Karl Malone. Shaq. Kevin Greene. And now apparently, Damon, David Eckstein, and AJ Pierzynski. Now admittedly, I haven't seen any of the shows Damon has been on. It might be totally harmless. But the more you play with fire, the more likely you'll get burned. Continuously put yourself in a position to get hurt, and one day, you just might.
The last thing a professional sports franchise wants is to have one of their players incur an injury in the offseason. And I can't imagine the player wants to hurt himself either. I wonder how Aaron Boone, Jeff Kent, and Ken Griffey feel about it? I'm surprised that the Yankees would allow Damon to participate, regardless of one's assurances on how harmless it is. It's not out of the realm of possibility that one can mess up their wrist when hitting someone with a chair. My point, is why put yourself in a position to hurt yourself, and more importantly, your team? Things can go wrong.
When asked about actually getting into the ring, Damon said, "Hey, you never know. It might be coming in the near future." Why do I get the feeling that it's going to happen? Like the title of this entry goes, this can only end badly. Don't do it Johnny. Focus on #27. Leave the "sports entertainment" to the professionals.
RIP Mad Dog. Godspeed.
J

0 comments: