Monday, March 27, 2006

2006 Predictions = NL East

With opening day less than a week away, I figured what better time than now to make my official predictions for the upcoming season. It'll be interesting to look back on this come October to see how right or wrong I am. Hopefully, I have better success with these than I did with my March Madness bracket. George Mason??? If they can beat UCONN than the Devil Rays have a shot at the AL East, right? Unlikely, but then again, George Mason could be National Champs next week. So I guess anything is possible. I'll start with the National League and work my way through the divisions, 1 per day, or more as my schedule allows. Let's start with the NL East.
NL East:
1)Atlanta Braves: Until they get knocked from the top spot I have no reason to pick against them. Cox will find a way to win another, even with Mazzone moving up the coast.
2)New York Mets: Minaya may have done enough to make it a close race but will will fall a little short. May pull off the wild card if health of Pedro and Wagner hold up.
3)Philadelphia Phillies: Howard will likely avoid sophomore slump and have an MVP type season but the pitching staff will falter.
4)Washington Nationals: Soriano's bat in RFK won't help the Nats. Team's second season won't be as successful as first.
5)Florida Marlins: They may have the best record in spring training but that just means they have the best minor leaguers, which is basically what the Marlins are. It doesn't help that Cabrera has no protection in the lineup. Girardi's first year in Florida will be a success if the team wins 70.
You can't pick against the Braves. They've won the division 14 straight years. Until someone unseats them from their throne, they have be the favorite to win the division. Smoltz and Chipper are a year older but they have plenty of youth that has shown they can make an impact. Renteria will be a welcomed addition to the offense. Come October, the Braves will win stake claim to their 15th straight division title.
Tomorrow: NL Central
J

0 comments: