Friday, January 20, 2006

Welcome To The Boogie Down

Hey there! Welcome to Baseball & The Boogie Down. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you stop by frequently and find it to be a good read. I'm Jay, your host and i hope you enjoy your stay. A little about me: 32 years old, married just over a year, new homeowner, love baseball, love the YANKEES, and I'm an autograph hound!! Oh, and I'm a horiible typist as you'll come to find. More on all of that in future posts....
Are you asking yourself, "What's the Boogie Down?" For those of you not hip to the lingo, it's slang for the Bronx. And everyone knows what the Bronx means to the baseball world? If you don't, leave now and don't look back. And in case you're wondering, and you're probably not, I'm not from the NYC area. I'm hunkered down in the great baseball metropolis known as Buffalo. But, I make it to the Stadium quite regularly. More on that later......
Now, just because I'm a Yankee fan, a big Yankee fan, doesn't mean that this blog is going to be all about the Yankees. Much of it will be devoted to the Bombers, but I hope to write about many topics within the realm of baseball. I've got many things I want to discuss right from the start. The Yankees, the WBC, the HOF, the rival Boston Red Sox. I'll tackle it all. Hopefully at times, with a little humor to boot. I hope to post daily, or at least on a regular basis.
I need to say a special thanks to my wife for letting me start this blog. She knows how much I love baseball and this is probably the closest thing I'll ever do to be "part of the game." So thanks babe. I actually owe much of my love for the game to her. She helped to rekindle the love and bring it to a whole new level. We decided in the summer of 2004 that we wanted to visit all 30 major league stadiums. We got a late start that summer but we we're able to get to Jacobs Field, PNC Park, the Skydome (pre-name change), Camden Yards and Citizens Bank. I had been to the Skydome before, but getting to those ballparks was an awesome experience. It made me fall in love with the game all over again. We were in Philadelphia. It was the last day of the season. We were engaged at the time with honeymoon plans to go to an all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean. Anyway, she gets out of the shower the day of the game and says she was thinking that a trip to the Caribbean would be silly because we're not beach people. "Let's go to more stadiums!!!" How can you not love that?? She's a keeper! Her one mistake was letting me plan the trip. What was meant to be a one week trip, turned into 2 separate trips. The first taking us down the east coast and back--about 4800 miles if I remember. Shea, RFK, Tropicana, Dolphins Stadium, Turner Field and ending with a game in the Bronx (that trip came complete with a trip to the Tampa ER). The second trip taking us a little west to Miller Park, US Cellular, Wrigley, Comerica and Great American. We did both trips by car (thank God for XM Radio and its MLB coverage!) That doesn't include return trips to the Jake, PNC, and the Skydome. All together, I think we went to 20 some-odd games last year (the majority at the Skydome for Yanks/Jays). That just leaves Fenway--but those tickets are pretty hard to come by. This summer our plans are to hit up Boston, St. Louis and Kansas City and I've got my 10 game flex pack to Toronto for Yankees/Jays. And of course, there'll be a few trips to the Stadium. If we can accomplish that--we'll have hit up every stadium east of the Mississippi. She's a teacher with summers off and I schedule my vacations around baseball, so it all works out. I'm planning on a post later with some stadium reviews.....
I think i've rambled enough for my inaugural post. I'll leave you all with my favorite joke......
A guy walks into a bar and says "Ow, that hurt."
I have a pretty oddball sense of humor.

0 comments: