Monday, February 22, 2010

Damon, Wang v. Park, Hughes v. Joba

It was a pretty uneventful couple of days. I wasn't expecting much since pitchers and catchers just reported 5 days ago. I'm a little bummed because things aren't in full swing yet. I'm jonesing for some games. I'm jonesing for some video. Sure, I could probably dig some up online but hey, I'm lazy. I prefer TV. I wish there was some daily 1/2 hour show about the Yankees. I watch the coverage on MLB Network (when I can) and I hope that I might get a little nugget here and there but i haven't been fortunate enough to run into anything, save for a brief clip of CC on day 1. Games will be here soon enough. I really can't wait for the Yanks ST opener. Hurry up already. Here are a few little tidbits about some things I saw recently.

  • Johnny Damon signed with the Tigers. I really wish the Yanks had found a way to bring JD back. I really like JD. I think he's one of the better guys in the game and I wish him all the best.
  • The Yankees have apparently signed Chan Ho Park to a 1-year deal, to presumably pitch out of the bullpen. I'm not exactly sure why the Yanks felt the need to bring in Park except that he's another pitching option. You can never have enough pitching. His salary is being reported at $1.2m. So the Yankees sign Chan Ho Park for $1.2 million but let Chien-Ming Wang walk and he signs a deal with the Nats for $2 million? I don't get that. Admittedly, I'm not as up on CMW as i should be, so I'm sure there's something there I'm missing, but my impression is that the Yanks had no interest in the Wanger whatsoever. I get that b/c there's really no room for him in the rotation, but was an effort even made to bring him in as a swingman a la Park? I'll probably write more on that later.
  • The biggest story of the spring for my money is the battle for the 5th spot in the rotation between Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain. My prediction: Phil Hughes. I've been touting him as a superior pitcher to Joba and I think this season is the season everyone else sees that. Not sure if anyone else saw the picture over at Lohud of the 2 leaving the bullpen. If not, you can find it here. Is it me or does Joba look a little softer than usual? I know those microfleeces aren't the most flattering shirts, but he looks a little bigger than usual. At least to me anyway. Team Hughes all the way. More on this as the spring develops.

Be back later, as time allows.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

3 comments:

Rob A from BBD said...

regarding Park vs. Wang, I think it's clear that Cashman puts a good deal of importance on health these days. Which is good considering he's been burned by the likes of Carl Pavano and lost a WS because of David Wells' bad back. Health is big.

Wang might not be back on the mound until May, June, or possibly even later.

J-Boogie said...

I totally get the health thing. I guess I'm stuck on that for the money, I'd rather have Wang then Park. There should be enough options to carry them until Wang returned. I'm just a little surprised that they didn't try to go with an incentive-laden deal for Wang. Who knows? Maybe they did. I'm sure more went on then we know.

I wonder now if the Park signing is a precursor to something else? They've got a lot of arms, but again, you can never have enough. They always seem to trek out bums (Ponson) b/c of injuries.

anne said...

I agree with you about Joba he is looking soft and a bit out of shape. I think Hughes will prove himself superior.
43 more days to go!!!