Thursday, November 13, 2008

Shopping Season Starts Tomorrow

Greetings everyone. Hope you've been well. Sorry for my prolonged absence by life hasn't been on my good side lately. By no means are things bad. It's just that free time is fleeting. I woke up Monday with a fever and a bad case of the runs. Not sure if it was related to my recent digestive problems but it wasn't fun to say the least. Tuesday I had my abdominal CT scan and I had to drink some gross concoction (barium I think) which gave me the runs. Work has been hectic. But all things considered, I can't complain. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to get the results of my CT scan. I'm pretty sure they're going to tell me I have diverticulitis. They called me on Wednesday and told me to finish my pills and come in for my follow-up. And that's where I am with things. But enough about me. Let's talk Yankees. I've got some catching up to do.

  • As expected the Yankees cut ties with Jason Giambi and Carl Pavano. No complaints from me. No one in their right mind wants Pavano back. Giambi could provide some value but only at a drastically reduced salary and only after other options are explored. If things don't work out with Mark Teixeira, I can see looking to bring back the Big G. But I'm sure he'll command a better salary from other teams. I say leave him be and only consider it as a last resort.
  • Andy Pettitte remains unsigned and filed for free agency. I don't think he's the top pitching priority for the Yankees. They would have signed him already if they wanted to commit a spot in the rotation to him. I don't think they want him back. Spots 1 and 2 go to Wang and Joba. Spots 3 and 4 are going to go to in all likelihood 2 free agents. Spot 5 is up in the air and I don't think AP is the first choice. I don't see Andy improving on his sub-par 2008. Save the money and spend it elsewhere. Like with Giambi, leave him be and only bring him back as a last resort.
  • Mike Mussina remains unsigned and filed for free agency. I'm not surprised that Moose hasn't retired yet. It only makes sense to see what offers are out there. Mike recently said that he's "still up in the air" about coming back. I think he'll wait to see how the 1st few days of the free agent season goes before he officially makes his decision. Personally, I think he'll pitch and I think he'll be locked up by mid next-week. Where is the only question. Please be New York.
  • Damaso Marte signed a 3 year deal which is good for me b/c I can now continue to sport my Damaso Marte batting jersey for the next 3 years. Yippee! It was a smart signing. It was about par for the lefty market and he's definitely more than capable of satisfying the role. I don't think Phil Coke is the answer and isn't he a starter anyway? Let him develop as such in the minors and when the time comes to limit his innings, add him to the pen. Pretty much what they did last year.
  • Congrats to Mariano Rivera and Mike Mussina for picking up some Cy Young votes. Both had solid years and the recognition was well-deserved.
  • Tomorrow marks the official opening of free agent season. Teams are free to negotiate with anyone and this should be quite an interesting time for the Yankees. I've been waiting for this day all offseason because it's when the hot stove really gets going. My wish list is CC Sabathia and Mark Teixeira. I'm up in the air about what other SP I'd like to see them go after. I'm not a fan of AJ Burnett or Derek Lowe. I'd guess I'd prefer AJ, but again, not a fan. Joel Sherman of the NY Post is reporting that the Yanks won't wait long to blow CC away with an offer. I don't really see the Yankees not getting CC. I think signing him is a must and if that means making him the highest paid pitcher in baseball than they need to do that. It all starts tomorrow and I don't think the Yankees will wait long to strike.

really hope my life gets a little less hectic so I can get back to blogging on a regular basis. I've missed doing it and quite honestly it's at times therapeutic. I hope everyone is enjoying the offseason and is ready for the real fun to begin when the clock strikes 12:01.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: