Tuesday, November 25, 2008

This Could Get Interesting

On my way to work this morning I was listening to XM Radio's MLB channel. It's pretty much what I listen to all day, every day. They mentioned a story that was in today's LA Times. The Angels have "reportedly" shifted their main interest from Mark Teixeira to CC Sabathia. Tex "reportedly" wants a 10 year deal and that's apparently about 3 years longer than what the Angels are willing to give. The article mentions that the Halos are "reportedly" willing to give CC a deal that comes close to the Yankees offer of 6 years/$140 million. It comes off as total speculation, but yikes.

This could make things interesting for the Yankees in their pursuit of CC. As I've discussed before, CC is a west coast guy. Everybody should know this by now. If the Angels swoop in and offer CC anything over $130 million, I don't see how/why he wouldn't hop all over that. Assuming of course that he does in fact want to play out west. The Yankees would likely need to significantly increase their offer if they want CC to come to New York. The first figure that comes to mind is $20 million over what the Angels offer. So perhaps they're looking at $150-160 million, which is $25-26.6 million per year. Wow. That's a lot of cheddar. I wonder how high the Yankees are willing to go? A point has to come where it makes more sense to spend that money elsewhere. I guess we'll find out soon if the Angels do in fact drop an offer in CC's lap. I don't think the Yankees waiting too long to throw out their second offer. This time of year is great isn't it? Man, I love it.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

2 comments:

She-Fan said...

I don't trust the Angels rumor about CC. Either they want Teixeira or they don't. Still, it scares me to see them in the mix.

Anonymous said...

Is this the first time in history that the Yanks can't just buy who they want? CC seems to want no part of the east coast. Derek Lowe for $16m per year looks like he's coming your way. Now I see Pettite is in talks with LA to play for Torre! What gives there? As a Braves fan, I also want no part of Burnett, and it looks like he wants no part of NY and the pressure it brings, you're better off w/o him, especially when his arm falls off(you know he's gonna get hurt).So.....Wang, Lowe, Joba, Kennedy, Hughes??? Rasner?? Oliver Perez or John Garland? Peavy? Not much in free agency after CC. If I were the Yanks I would turn all my attention to Texeira