Thursday, November 13, 2008

Swisher Deal Details

Here are the details on the Swisher deal:

Yanks get Swisher and minor league pitcher Kanekoa Texeira
White Sox get Wilson Betemit and minor league pitchers Jeff Marquez and Jhony Nunez

I still like the deal. Betemit is a chump and though Swisher isn't exactly the bomb at the plate (he hit .219 last year) he gives the Yankees a lot more flexibility since he can play the OF and 1B. It's a smart move and benefits both teams. Swisher gives the Yankees a little more room to play with in terms of roster options. He could play CF in place of Melky or Gardner. Could play 1B if the free agent market doesn't cooperate. Could play RF if that position stays open as well.

J-Boogie

1 comments:

Jason from The Heartland said...

It's not a bad deal, J-Boogie. Swisher has a good glove, especially at first, and has power and patience. But he needs to cut down on the strikeouts. I too like that Betemit is gone. Good riddance.

I don't see Swisher playing much outfield, unless the Yanks move one of the corner outfielders, and I hope they keep JD; I like his speed and bat. Yet I wouldn't be surprised to see Abreu gone and Nady move to right. I'd like to see Abreu stay for a two-year deal, but nothing long term.
http://heartlandpinstripes.wordpress.com/