Friday, October 20, 2006

And Then There Were Two

So it all comes down to this. The Tigers and the Cardinals in an epic battle for baseball world supremacy. Yippee. (Enter sarcasm here). I'm not terribly excited about this matchup. It's definitely not the matchup I was hoping for when the playoffs started. But it's baseball. I love it, so I'll watch. Now get off my back Lasorda. You had me at hello.
I was going to call this post "Beat The Mets" as I can't help but laugh in the face of the throngs of Mets fans out there who were so quick to dog the Yankees and their fans after their first round loss to Detroit. So much for planting that Mets flag at the top of the mountain, eh? That's why it doesn't pay to gloat. Right now, the Mets are no different than the Pirates. Both are losers. At least the Yankees lost a team with more than 90 wins. The Cardinals won a ******** 83 games this year, and they took down the mighty Mets. The Yanks at least lost to a team for the large majority of the season played head and shoulders above the rest of the league. The Mets lost to the Cardinals. Blah hah hah hah. (Enter excessive laughter here). What is it about third baseman in NYC that causes them to perform so poorly in the playoffs? Wright was such a non-factor, it wasn't funny. And Beltran? Way to swing the bat there buddy. I have to admit that last night's game was a great, classic baseball game. How could you not be glued to the set? Suppan gets all the credit there. He was rightfully named the NLCS MVP.
The one thing that cracks me up come October is the countless number of crowd shots they make showing the fans when they know it's pretty much over. The hands up to their face as if their praying to Jesus. The sad looks. The "Believe" signs. It was nice to not have to see the "Believe" signs written out in that ever-so swanky Boston script, wouldn't you agree? I don't know what it is about the looks on people's faces that cracks me up. I think it's because I feel as if they are getting their just desserts, and I don't really know why. Perhaps it's because it usually happens to a team whose fan base I am not particularly fond of. I'm not sure. I mean, I don't know these people. I can empathize being a sports fan. But something about it just makes me laugh at their pain, even though I know what that pain is like. It's weird. Am I the only one that gets this way?
Congratulations to the Cardinals and the Tigers for winning their respective division pennants. It was a tough road to the top, and you bypassed everybody else on your way to the apex. And like the Highlander, there can be only one. And call it a hunch, but I'm thinking it'll be the Tigers. But, I'll be watching to find out who survives. So again Lasorda, leave me alone already. Geesh.
J

0 comments: