Sunday, May 31, 2009

Yanks Lose A Very Winnable Game

I'll have to make this short and sweet. I let the day get away from me and I wanted to post something tonight as opposed to tomorrow. I say that and by the time this post is done, it'll be lengthy.

Today's game in a word: winnable. Today's game in another word: disappointing. What made it disappointing was that they lost (of course) and that they couldn't do more against that sad sack, and I guess Yankee killer, Carl Pavano. What made it winnable is that Eric Wedge channeled his inner Joe Girardi and let the Yankees get back into it by stupidly going to his bullpen. Joe Girardi, not to be outdone, decided to one up his counterpart by making the wrong moves in the 9th. The Yankees very easily could have won that game. Very disappointing.

I thought Phil Hughes looked good. He had exceptional control, throwing about 70% of his pitches for strikes. The only problem was he threw 95 pitches and was done after 5. But he looked good. I wonder if he'll make his next start or if it will go to Chien-Ming Wang? Wang pitched a pretty good game in relief. He kept the Tribe from scoring which let the Yanks get back into it. He looked like the Wang of old. Wang's line since his return: 8 IP, 9 H, 2 BB, 7 K, 2 ER, 2.25 ERA. I don't think any of us would complain if CMW could bust out a game like that. The Wang of old looks to be back. And for those keeping track at home, Wang's road to respectability, a 4.50 ERA, is now 36 scoreless innings and counting. He's got a long way to go but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets that ERA down under 6 before long. If I'm running the show, I give the ball to Wang when Hughes's spot in the rotation comes around. I love Hughes and all, but it's Wang's spot. If he's healthy, he should get it back. But that's me. With Girardi running the ship, who knows what will happen.

Phil Coke should be shot for issuing a leadoff walk to the #9 hitter. You know, the guy hitting a buck eight four. Brutal. Absolutely brutal. Sam goes to you David Robertson. You guys need to stop with the free passes. As I tweeted during the game, here's a novel idea: try throwing strikes. You guys are freaking major leaguers. The best of the best. Start playing like it. As much as I'd like to chew Girardi's ass out for this, he has little choice in the matter. The other options are Veras (good God no), Aceves (probably unavailable), Mariano (not the right situation) and Brett Tomko (hasn't pitched since 5/24). I can see why he went with Coke since he was rested, but why Robertson when he threw an inning yesterday? What doesn't Joe like about Brett Tomko? He's certainly no worse than the rest of the bunch. Why can't you be healthy Brian Bruney? It's painfully obvious that the bullpen is the weak link when it comes to the 2009 Yankees. Brian Cashman needs to find a way to fix it and fix it fast.

I was screaming at my TV when Brett Gardner didn't try to steal 2nd in the 9th. I read on Pete Abe's blog that he didn't go because he was worried about getting picked off. What? Aren't you worried about that every time? Opposing teams know you're fast. You don't think they're going to throw over and try to nab you? WTF? I couldn't believe it when I read that. Brett not running in the 9th is inexcusable. What's the opposite of the WWE belt that the team gives out? Whatever it is, give it to Gardner. That non-steal attempt and misplay in the OF were 2 huge factors in the loss. It just wasn't your day Brett. Melky is supposedly back tomorrow. Hope you enjoyed that PT because you're probably benched. Inexcusable.

So much for short and sweet.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

2 comments:

She-Fan said...

I think Robertson pitched two days in a row, didn't he? I was surprised to see him in there today. But my question is why didn't Girardi stick with Wang for the ninth??????

J-Boogie said...

That's a good ?. I wonder why he didn't roll with Wang in the 9th. All I can say is it's Girardi and that's why.