Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Yankees Reportedly Acquire Javier Vazquez From Atlanta

The Yankees have reportedly acquired Javier Vazquez from the Atlanta Braves. The pieces reportedly being sent to Atlanta are Melky Cabrera, Mike Dunn, and Arodys Vizcaino. The Yanks will also reportedly get Boone Logan. When I heard the rumors this morning that the Yankees were close to landing a starter, Vazquez wasn't who I was hoping for (Josh Johnson) but he'll do. The Yankees didn't really give up much so for me the deal is a win. And at least it's not Derek Lowe or Aaron Harang. I was really hoping they weren't the target.

I have no problem whatsoever with the Yankees dealing Melky Cabrera. I've always maintained that he's nothing more than a 4th OF. I like him, sure, but I've never been high on him. His career OPS is .716. I'm definitely not a fan of that. He has a great arm, which will be missed, but losing that isn't the end of the world. I think Cashman was smart to deal him now because his value is as high as it's going to get. Cash was smart to deal him now.

Trading Melky now opens up a hole in the OF. The OF as it stands now is Curtis Granderson, Nick Swisher, and Brett Gardner. There is no chance whatsoever that the Yankees will run those 3 out there on opening day. The door for Johnny Damon's return has been reopened. Or perhaps the Yanks will go big and go after Matt Holliday or Jason Bay. I think it's a safe bet that the Opening Day LF will be one of those three.

Mike Dunn was a promising young left-handed RP, but that's easily replaceable. I'm fine with him being dealt. And I'm not real familiar with Vizcaino. No loss there. I have no problem with dealing prospects. You never know what you're going to get from them. They could easily bust.

Speaking of not knowing what you'll get, I wonder what Javier Vazquez the Yanks just got. The bum that was traded after 1 season or the guy who's excelled in recent years? I hope it's the latter. As I said above, he's not the guy I preferred, but acquiring him definitely upgrades the rotation. We're now looking at a rotation of CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Andy Pettitte, Javier Vazquez, Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain. That's definitely better than it was yesterday. It looks like one of those last 2 is definitely pitching out of the pen in 2010. I hope it's Joba. I think Hughes is the better pitcher and has the tools to succeed as a SP. I think Joba is better suited for the bullpen. Something tells me though that Joba-mania will be the 5th SP coming out of Spring Training. Unless of course, Cashman has plans to deal one of the two. I don't think it's wise to do that at this point. In all likelihood this is Pettitte's last year. Whoever isn't in the rotation this year should be able to fill that role. We'll see.

Next up: signing a LF. I'd expect this to happen next and happen soon. If it doesn't happen today, I think it will happen by Christmas. I'm predicting they'll resign Johnny Damon. I wouldn't mind seeing Holliday come to town, but I think for payroll reasons, it'll be Damon.

Thoughts anyone? Good deal for the Yanks? Bad deal? What do you want to happen next? Lay it on me.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

6 comments:

Living with Balls said...

Well I don't have fond memories of Vasquez. However, if he pitches like he has the past couple years then its a great move.

Jason from The Heartland said...

We're pretty much in agreement, J-Boogie. I think it's a good deal, and I don't mind their dealing Melky, either. He was overall good last year (13 HR, 68 RBI, .274/.336) and had some clutch hits, but I was not sure that he would replicate that in 2010. On Vasquez, my understanding is that he had a bad shoulder in the second half of 2004, contributing mightily to his struggles. The first half, he was money. I think his ERA will surely jump in the AL but, if he can put up, say, 15-10, 4.20 ERA, 1 K/IP, and keep the walks down over 200+ IP, for a 4th starter that would be terrific. He will also be in the final year of his contract, so you know he will be motivated. Turning 34 next July, he is also more mature.

Good trade, and Cashman has made important deals without giving away Montero, Joba, and Hughes.

Huge.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J-Boogie said...

Not sure what your comment is as it's in Chinese (maybe) but it looked like a hyperlink to a site not related to this blog's subject matter. Sorry for deleting your comment if I was wrong.

Jason said...

This is a great sports blog you have here man. It’s a very good read. I have a sports blog myself but I specifically cover the New York Giants. I’ve been a fan all my life and it’s great writing about them. I would like to exchange links with you to help spread some traffic around. It can’t hurt us, it’s a win/win on both sides.

Please let me know if this is possible. Take care and keep up the good work.

Jason
GIANTStalk.com

J-Boogie said...

Jason from GiantsTalk- can you shoot me an e-mail about this? Easier for me to respond to. Thanks.