Monday, January 29, 2007

Rocket Watch '07

In what's becoming almost an annual rite of passage, the baseball world is wondering if Roger Clemens will pitch this year, and if so, where? Perhaps Roger is dropping hints as to what he wants to do and where he wants to go. This is from The Daily Texan:
"If somebody makes a phone call, and I think I can do it again physically, I probably could. The only reason why I'd continued to play was because of my teammates calling me. Guys made the phone call to get me back out of the house to play."
Interesting. The word that sticks out to me in his quote is "teammates." I've never been good at the game "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon," but nobody on the Red Sox roster jumps out at me as being a teammate of Clemens, unless you want to count Mike Timlin in the WBC. The Astros and Yankees are chock full of ex-teammates of Roger's. But with Roger's hetero-life mate Andy Pettitte being on the Yankees, you have to give them the inside track. Does anyone watch "Scrubs?" If so, can't you just picture Roger and Andy signing their own rendition of "Guy Love?" In addition to Pettitte, there's Jeter, Posada, Matsui, Giambi, Mussina, and if you want to go the WBC route, Johnny Damon. Sprinkle in some World Series rings and I think you see my point. This has the Yankees written all over it. Wishful thinking, I know.
If the Yankees were smart, they'd be starting up the phone tree and making some calls to the Clemens' household, telemarketer style. Let's get it done.
J
ps- Tood Helton? Oooh, scary

0 comments: