Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Yanks Reportedly Make Offer To Burnett

According to George King of the NY Post, the Yankees are preparing to make an offer to A.J. Burnett for reported terms of 5 years at $80 million. Yeah, I don't buy it. Sounds to me like it's something that Mr. King has trumped up to gain attention as he's the only one I've seen with this info. Here's an excerpt from his article:

"The Yankees, according to several industry insiders, spent yesterday preparing an offer - perhaps a five-year deal worth about $80 million - for Toronto righty A.J. Burnett."

Now, I may not be hip to the lingo that sports writers use, but the word "perhaps" makes me think that it's total speculation. And who exactly are "industry insiders?" That seems like an odd term to use. Wouldn't it have to be either someone with the Yankees if the offer hasn't been made yet? How would anyone else know? It just seems a little odd and I can't get it to add up.

Now, if the offer happens to be real, my first reaction: not a huge fan but I'd be OK with it. I'm not a huge Burnett fan and while he is one of the better options that are available, I don't really like the deal at those terms. A.J. hasn't exactly been the picture of health in recent years. I also think he could be had for a little less cash as $16 mill per year seems a little steep. If true, I do like the Yankees aggressiveness. I'm fine with them blowing everybody else out of the water and not even giving the player much of a choice. With about $80 mill/year coming off the books, they have the $$ to do this.

Fact of the matter is adding AJ to the Yankees is going to make them a better team, assuming he stays healthy. But that's a roll of the dice. Anybody could get hurt, a la Chien-Ming Wang. You just never know. I think I've talked myself into being more on the side of liking the deal. I'm just a little worried about his history with injuries. Hopefully, he's turned the corner. Unless of course for some reason he signs with the Red Sox. Then I hope his arm falls off.

And I still don't buy George King's story. Something about it just smells kind of funny.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

1 comments:

She-Fan said...

I share your skepticism about the offer to AJ, but King has good sources and really knows how to work them. I never dismiss anything he has to say. Not entirely.