Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Boogie Down Book Club: The Yankees Baseball Reader


As I've done in the past, I occasionally come across or am sent a book that I want to share in the "Boogie Down Book Club." It's been a while since "the club" has last met but I have a book that I wanted to share called, "The Yankees Baseball Reader: A Collection Of Writings On The Game's Greatest Dynasty."

The book is just as the title reads, a collection of writings about the New York Yankees. Just based on the title alone I was sold. I don't know about you but I'm not an avid reader. Sometimes I find myself paging thru the chapter I'm reading to see how many pages are left because I often get bored. And if the chapter itself is long, fuhgeddaboutit. It struggles to hold my interest. The writings in this book are often short, sometimes a couple of pages, and each piece of writing, or "chapter" if you will, is not dependent on the next, unlike a work of fiction. You can skip around and it doesn't really matter. This is the perfect book for me. And it's about the New York Yankees. I couldn't go wrong with it.

The Yankees Baseball Reader presents some of the most memorable pieces by the journalists, historians, poets and authors who have ever written about the Yankees from their beginning in 1903 through the 2010 season. It even has a couple of writings from ex-Yankees. Yogi Berra, Joe DiMaggio, Whitey Ford, Dave Winfield, Roger Maris, Lou Pinella and Elston Howard are just a few that you'll find in here. It's always cool to get a player's perspective.

My favorite writing just happens to be the last in the book. It's the interview that ran in an issue of SI back in May 2010. It's the interview that Tom Verducci did with the "Core Four." It was excellent then. It's excellent now.

So if you haven't been able to tell I highly recommend the book. It's become one of my favorites and it's very easy to go back to at a later date. You really can't go wrong with this one. It's now in my "Monument Park" section of my library. It's a winner. If you check it out I hope you enjoy it.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

1 comments:

Low Potassium Diet said...

Interesting resources. Thanks for sharing.

MLB Standings