Thursday, August 31, 2006

I Need A TV

I don't remember the last Yankee game I've seen in its entirety. I think it gores back to the Boston series. You remember? The one where we won all 5 games and basically put the BoSox on life support? Ringing any bells? Thought so. Between the late games, work, and scheduling conflicts, I've got only bits and pieces and have listened to some on the radio. I've got today's game on the radio, but I'd much rather be in front of the TV watching the Bombers.
How awesome is Chien-Ming Wang? Holy freholy Batman. He is without a doubt the ace of the staff. If the Yankees need a definite win, he's the guy I want on the mound. He should definitely get some consideration for the Cy Young Award. If he can pull of 20 wins and lower his ERA a little bit, he's got a shot.
Are you getting the feeling that Derek Jeter is going to win the MVP? I am. It seems like every time the Yankees need a big hit, Jeter comes through. Last night's game-tying double was a perfect example. It tied the score and set up a Yankee rally. We've been seeing this pretty consistently from our Captain. With David Ortiz's unfortunate health issue, the MVP race might turn into a race between Jeter and Jermaine Dye. Even if Ortiz were playing daily, I'd have to think Jeter is still would get some serious consideration. There is a lot of talk on national radio that Jeter might already have it in the bag. He'd get my vote.
Last night's loss to the Tigers was a little tough to watch, but it wasn't a bad loss in my opinion. I only caught the last 3 innings. It was tough to watch Proctor struggle. It seemed like he was so close with the full-counts, but he just couldn't seal the deal, and Craig Monroe made him pay for it. I understand why Mo wasn't used, but as soon as Proctor walked batter #2, I would have made the switch and brought in Mo to try and get 1 batter. Torre at times, seems okay with not doing everything to win each and every game. Proctor has now blown 7 saves. Count 'em, 7. That's a lot. I am still not 100% sold on Proctor. He's given up runs in 4 of his last 5 outings, and he's prone to giving up the longball, which we've seen him do several times this year. If this is what life without Mariano is going to be like, yikes! But as I said, it wasn't a bad loss. The Yankee offense didn't do anything all game and had the score held at 3-2, the Yankees would have won with 3 hits. 3 hits from that lineup is horrible. It was a game the Tigers definitely should have easily won. I was impressed with Wright's outing. He finally got an out in the 7th inning. I hope he can do more of that.
The lead in the East seems to be growing very rapidly. Between the BoSox injuries and the fact that they're not really all that good when healthy, the race is pretty much over. I had a few reservations when the lead was 6.5, but after watching them falter on the west coast, I feel a lot better about the Yankees taking the East for the 9th straight year. 9 games up in the loss column with 30 to play is going to be a tough deficit to overcome. I don't even think the Sox have a shot at the wild card they are that bad. I think i saw a stat that the Sox were the worst team in MLB in the month of August. Sorry, but I can't help but giggle. I've been saying all year that I didn't think they were very good. It's looking like they might finish in 3rd. And I'm sorry, but I don't buy that Manny has an injury. As soon as the Sox lost 5 to the Yankees, Manny basically went on vacation. The Sox have no heart, in my opinion.
The Yanks stranded 3 in the bottom of the first and are now down a run. Not a great way to start. Let's go Yankees!!
J-Boogie

0 comments: