Friday, August 4, 2006

Our Visit To Busch Stadium

Just got back form tonight's Cardinals/Brewers game at the beautiful new Busch Stadium. And so ends another fun-filled stadium trip. I wish this one could have been longer. But it was fun nonetheless. Unfortunately tomorrow, I have a 12 hour drive back home to Buffalo. It'll be good to be home, but I am dreading having to go back to work. Stupid job.
Today started much like yesterday. As we were driving to St. Louis, we stopped along the way at a mall that had another scrapbook store, which was again named "Archiver's." This time however the final bill was a wee bit more. Yesterday, the wife spent about $40 on stuff, today it was just shy of $90. Who knew a stamp that says "Thinking Of You" would be so much. It was about $10. Whoever thought up this junk has to be living in the tallest of cotton. ******** out there, like my wife, eat that stuff up. But hey, at least she got a free tote bag. If you spent $50, you got a free bag. If anyone affiliated with "Archiver's" reads this blog, please do everything in your power to STAY OUT OF BUFFALO!! I'm begging you. After dropping a mortgage payment on scrapbooking junk, we headed into downtown St. Louis to check out the famous Arch. It was nice and all, but I didn't really see the attraction. It was cool to look at for about a minute, then I got bored with it. There was a 2 hour wait for the elevator ride up the arch, and time wasn't on our side. So we snapped a few pictures, and headed to Busch.
We walked around the stadium for a while and then went and got in line. As usual, we were the first ones. Anyone who wants to get the good autographs, needs to get there early. Unfortunately today, there were no autographs to be had. No one on the Cards signed. Pujols was really the only one I wanted. After the Cards BP, I went over to the Brewers dugout to try and get HOFer Robin Yount to sign, but he wasn't very receptive. He pretty much ignored me. I had another shot at an HOFer on the Cards side as Red Schoendienst was in the house, but he didn't sign for me either. But at least he waved.
The new Busch Stadium was very nice. I have never been to the old Busch Stadium so I can't really compare the two. But this was by far the best stadium on the trip. The other two being Kauffman Stadium and Fenway Park. Fenway would be nicer if they retro-fit to make it a little state-of-the-art, but therein lies its charm. Our seats in Busch were down the first base line in RF, about 28 rows up. My wife liked those seats the best of all the seats we sat in. I have to disagree. I thought it ranked third. And that's saying a lot considering our seats in Fenway were obstructed by foot traffic. But you could pretty much see everything from our seats, which was nice. A very small portion of the RF corner was out of view, but that was all. The fans in St. Louis were a little weird. I know it's a small sample, but it didn't seem like the people in our section wanted to watch the game. It was more of a social event. I hope that's not a fair representation of the Cards fan base. I took a lot of nice pictures and I hope to post the photo albums sometime before the weekend is over. My home PC is busted, so it may take an extra day or two.
The only negative aspect of our trip, besides that the baseball part of it is over, was the fact that no team we were rooting for one. The Tribe lost on Monday. The Royals lost last night. And the Cards lost tonight. The games were good though, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We've now been to 19 of the 30 MLB parks. There's a typelist on the left if you want to see the entire list. We started in 2004 so we've been pretty active in getting around to these games. Unfortunately, it's now going to get a little harder, as most, if not all of the remaining stadiums are more than a day away, except maybe Minnesota. I guess it's time to hop on a plane or two.
Good news is the Yanks won again. I was following along on my XM MyFi. I didn't have the headphones so all I could see was the score, the inning, and the number of outs. It was nerve-racking when nothing changed after a few minutes. But the Yanks are rolling. I heard on the way home that they designated Bubba Crosby for assignment. I'm not surprised by the move as there isn't really any room for him. Hopefully, someone comes a-calling and the Yanks can make a trade for something, anything really. I'm looking forward to getting home so I can actually see the Yanks play. It's been over a week and I'm going through withdrawal. At least tomorrow I can listen to the game on my drive home. Go Moose.
Take care. Go Yanks!
J-Boogie

0 comments: