Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Johnny Damon, Chien-Ming Wang, And Yet Another Apology

What's up gang? In what's becoming a common theme this offseason, I again must apologize for the break between posts. It's been a pretty slow couple of weeks in terms of Yankee news and talk. I don't really have an opinion on much of what's gone down. There are 2 things I'm waiting on but there's not much movement around it. I'm really dying for Spring Training to kick off so there's more to talk about. You can bet if something went down I'd blog about it, but nothing has sparked my interest. As for those 2 things I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for:

1) Left field. It looks like it's going to be Brett Gardner. I can live with that but would prefer someone else in that spot. Johnny Damon is still on the market but his salary demands are probably out of the Yankees' range. I'm sure there's a salary point where they'd snatch him up but I doubt it will get that low. Damon can't be happy with how this offseason has played out. He reportedly had a 2-yr/$20mm offer from the Yankees that he (or Boras) turned down. I think he'll be lucky to get a 1 year deal for $8mm now. Damon could end up as the offseason's biggest loser. It would be nice if the two sides could come together, but I don't see it happening. But the longer Johnny remains unsigned, I would think the chances the Yankees resign him increase.

2) Chien-Ming Wang. I'm wondering where the Wanger is going to end up. I'd love it to be with the Yankees but based on the current roster, I don't think signing him would make a whole lot of sense. The rotation is pretty much set with Sabathia, Burnett, Pettitte, Vazquez and Hughes/Chamberlain. They've agreed to deals with Chad Gaudin and Sergio Mitre. What sense would it make to sign Wang when there's nowhere for him to pitch? There's no chance he signs a minor league deal with the Yanks. Some team will offer him a major league contract. The only way I can see this happening is if the Yankees put both Hughes and Chamberlain in the bullpen or possibly if they trade Mitre and/or Gaudin, or maybe a combination of the two. I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees deal Mitre or Gaudin, but I don't think it would be done at the expense of dealing someone to open up a spot. I would love nothing more than to see CMW wearing Pinstripes. I think his struggles have more to do with how the Yankees handled him post-injury than anything else. The Wanger won 19 games in back-to-back seasons and was 8-2 when he hurt himself running the bases. He was reportedly told not to work out his legs so had to compensate with his arm, which didn't work and is probably the main reason why he needed surgery. If he's healthy, I have no reason to believe that he wouldn't pick up where he left off before the injuries. That's the real question. Is CMW healthy? The Yankees must not be willing to risk it. Again, I'd love for it to work out, but don't see it happening.

Pitchers and catchers in about 30 days. February 17th can't get here fast enough.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

1 comments:

Swanny said...

Arod postseason MVP?