Thursday, January 7, 2010

Yanks Sign Sergio Mitre

The Yanks signed Sergio Mitre today. To quote Adam Sandler from the movie Billy Madison (I think it was Billy Madison--maybe it was from Remote Control), whoopity-do!

I'm not a Mitre fan. He shouldn't be pitching at the major league level. I'm really going to be disappointed if Mitre is on the roster and Chien-Ming Wang signs elsewhere. Especially if the difference between what the Yankees want to pay Wang and what Wang signs for is equal to or less than the amount of Mitre's salary. The time is going to come, like it does every season, where the Yankees truck out some piss-poor SP to start some games (see Sidney Ponson). It happens every year. I'd rather see those starts go to Wang than to Mitre.

Sadly though, Wang's days with the Yanks are likely over. Sabathia, Burnett, Pettitte, Vazquez, Hughes/Chamberlain equals no room at the inn. I don't see CMW signing a minor-league deal. So unless a spot opens up (trade Joba), I think we've seen the last of CMW in pinstripes.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was actually from "The Wedding Singer" before he busts out into "Love Stinks" lol

-Dan

Colt McCoy said...

I think Mitre has a lot upside over Wang. I just don't see the yanks bringing Wang back after last yeaer

J-Boogie said...

Thanks Dan. I knew it was one of those movies but couldn't remember which. Billy Madison seems the most likely.

Colt- I think Wang is all but gone. I can't see him coming back to pitch in the minors or as a spot starter/long RP. I'm definitely not a Mitre guy and don't see him making any valuable contributions at the big league level. I'd be happy if I'm wrong but I don't see it happening.