Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Yankees And Pirates Meet And A 2+ Hour Infomercial Breaks Out

I was really excited when I got an e-mail the other day letting me know that the blackout restrictions for today's Yankees/Pirates were lifted and the game was going to air on the MLB Network. What that e-mail failed to mention is that the whole game was going to be one giant infomercial for Pirates season tickets. As the late, great Phil Rizzuto would say, "Holy Cow."

Look, I get that the Pirates want to let people know what's available to them for tickets. But to spend an entire game talking about it is a little much. Tell me that tickets are on sale and where I can find the info and be done with it. No need to tell me who's buying tickets and how many plans they got. No need to show me the operators that were standing by. No need to go over each and every plan that's offered again and again and again. I turned the game off after the Yanks pulled CC Sabathia. I turned it back on in the 8th inning and they were still talking about the tickets. I can't believe I'm saying this but I would have rather listened to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver than the Pirates' announcers. It made the game unwatchable.

As I said above I watched the game until the Yankees pulled Sabathia. I liked what I saw from the big man even though he wasn't incredibly sharp, throwing only 29 of his 57 pitches for strikes. If I remember correctly, he issued two 4-pitch walks, 1 being to the 9 hitter. He only gave up 3 hits, 1 being the HR to Iwamura. I don't know what it is about CC and left-handed NL East second basemen. They like to take him deep. Thankfully he doesn't face them that often. Overall, a solid outing. I give it a B-, which is his highest mark of the season, and that means he's getting better, which is what I like to see. According to CC's post game comments (which you can read at the Lohud Yankees Blog), CC also feels the same, saying, "I felt more together. Fastball felt more crisp. Cutters were good, down in the dirt. Changeup was a lot better. I’m definitely pleased with the progress I made today.” Me too big man. Me too.

Before I flipped the game off for good I hung around to see Jonathan Albaladejo pitch, and I use the term pitch loosely. Talk about pitching your way off the major league roster. I don't put much stock into spring training performances, but Albaladejo has looked downright awful. He's pitched in 4 games, lasting only 2 innings. He's given up 15 hits, 10 ER and has an ERA of 45. His WHIP is 9 (15 hits+2 walks+1 HBP/2 IP). I didn't think it was possible to be that bad. I know it's still early, but have fun in Scranton.

3 weeks until Opening Day. It can't get here soon enough.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

1 comments:

Jason from The Heartland said...

Albaladejo has been an abject turd this Spring, J-Boogie. I wouldn't be surprised if he never say The Bronx again after this ST.