Sunday, August 8, 2010

Yankees Blast Beckett, Beat Boston 7-2

Boone Logan just got David Ortiz to ground out with the bases loaded in the top of the 7th to keep the lead at 7-2 Yankees. I'm writing this before the game ends in hopes to save myself some time. I'm either getting up for work at 6am or I'm getting up earlier if the wife goes into labor. Her due date is today and she's been getting some major contractions. So who knows what's in store?

I'm going to write this one a little differently. It's going to be a mash-up of thoughts on the last 3 games. I listened to Friday's loss on the radio. I missed the 1st half of Saturday's game but caught the 2nd half on the radio. I saw all of Sunday's game. Not ideal when it comes to taking in the Yankees/Red Sox but it is what it is. I'm glad I at least got to see Sunday's game. I thought for sure I'd be tuned into the radio again since we're currently a 1 TV house and I'm low man on the totem pole.

  • Congrats to Derek Jeter on passing Babe Ruth on the all-time hit list.
  • Congrats to A-Rod on stealing his 300th base.
  • Congrats to Lance Berkman for finally showing up. Pathetic that prior to tonight his best hit as a Yankee was during BP when he took out A-Rod.
  • Dustin Moseley is the man. He's pitching his tail off and is earning his keep.
  • Mariano Rivera is insanely good. I'm not sure how he keeps getting better and better as he gets older. His ERA is now below 0.90. Unreal. 1 pitch 1 out on Sunday. He's God.
  • CC Sabathia is worth every penny of his salary. He hasn't allowed more than 3 ER in his last 13 starts. He's 10-2 with a 2.38 ERA in that span. The team scored 1 total run in his 2 losses.
  • I hate Jon Miller and Joe Morgan. Seriously, how hard is it to pronounce the name "Beltre?"
  • I wrote before that something always seems to prevent me from seeing Phil Hughes pitch. Add back spasms to that list. A.J.'s "injury" moves Phil up a day and it's a day game. No chance I'll be in front of the TV for it. Hughes v. Lester. If there's ever a game to call in sick for that's it.
  • When did Boone Logan become good? 8 straight appearances without allowing a run and 7 straight without allowing a hit. 6.2 IP, 1H, 6K. Who knew?
  • Not that he has been but so much for Josh Beckett being a Yankee-killer. In case there's any question about it, his membership in that club has been officially and permanently revoked. In 4 starts this year against the Yanks, JB is 0-2 and has only thrown 19.1 IP, allowing 33 hits, 11 walks, and 24 ER. That's an ERA of 11.17. Career ERA against them is now up to 6.23. What a bum.

The game's over. Yankees won 7-2. The win guarantees that the Yankees can do no worse than split this 4 game-set. Even if they lose on Monday they come out ahead. Nothing wrong with knocking 4 games off the schedule and keeping the distance between you and the team chasing you the same. But who wants to split, right? Go for the deathblow. The Red Sox are currently 8 behind the Yankees in the loss column with 52 games to play. Time is running out for the Red Sox when it comes to catching the Yankees. Big up to the Blue Jays for sweeping the Rays. The Rays have now lost 5 straight and the Yankees lead in the East is up to 2.5 games (3 in the loss column). How quickly things change!

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: