Sunday, July 30, 2006

I'm Back & Bobby Is On His Way

I'm back from Cooperstown. Awesome time, more on that later. As i was driving home there was a lot of talk on the radio about the Bobby Abreu deal to the Yankees. Having been in Cooperstown since Thursday i was unaware of any trade talks. I knew trades hadn't happened (except for Lee). I was surprised to hear that the Abreu deal was moving along.
According to ESPN Radio, Buster Olney is calling it a done deal. Abreu and Cory Lidle are headed to the Bronx in exchange for Matt Smith, SS Prospect CJ Henry, another prospect to be chosen from an agreed upon list, and the Yankees will assume the rest of Lidle's and Abreu's contract. Let me see. Wang? Check. Cano? Check? Cabrera? Check. Hughes? Check. This deal works for me, assuming of course it happens. Until it's official, you never know.
Adding Abreu to the lineup is huge for the Yanks. He has some pop in his bat, though he's struggling, but he gets on base, A LOT! Adding his bat to the lineup is going to be huge. I think we're done with Sheffield? But imagine this, the OF of Matsui, Damon, and Abreu. Sheffield at DH, Posada, Giambi, Cano, Jeter, and A-Rod. Can you say #27?
Lidle is serviceable. He's more likely to succeed than Chacon, Wright, or Ponson. I have to think Ponson is going to be cut or Chacon might be dealt. The Yanks don't need 7 starters at this point in the game.
I'm sure he boards will be buzzing with this once it's official. Cross your fingers Yankee fans. All signs point to the fact that it's a go. But until it's official, anything can happen.
Edited to add @ 3:50: Michael Kay announced the deal was officially announced by the Yankees, though the details of the trade weren't shared!!!
J

0 comments: