Friday, July 7, 2006

Series Split & I'm Outta Here

The Yanks came back to win the final two games in their series with the Indians and I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. What started out as a disaster quickly became a positive. The offense came alive. The pitching was above average. The Red Sox lost 3 of 4 and the Yankees picked up a game. Winning 3 of 4 would have been nice, but what can you do?
The Yanks are off to Tampa for a 3 game set to wrap up the first half of the season. I'm having mixed feelings on how I think the Yankees will do this weekend. The D-Rays are playing good ball and will be facing the back end of the Yankee rotation. Wright, Wang, and who knows. Perhaps it'll be newly called up Kris Wilson. Wright, Wang, and Wilson. That has a good ring to it. Wright has at times pitched well, but he needs to pitch deeper into the game. The D-Rays lineup isn't exactly full of chumps, so he might have a tough go of it. Wang is a groundball pitcher, so I'm thinking he'll fare well so long as he keeps the ball down. If he does, I don't expect too much from Gomes and Wiggington, and if you can shut down the middle of the lineup you'll have a good shot at winning. The finale is up in the air. If it's not Chacon, I don't know what to expect.
Offensively, I'm pleased with the output over the last 2 days. Jeter's been on fire. A-Rod's average is climbing. Giambi is putting the ball in the seats. The back end of the lineup still needs improvement but they looked better the last 2 games of the Indians series than they did during the first two. There are currently 4 regulars out of the lineup in Damon, Cano, Sheffield, and Matsui. That's a lot of production and a lot of potential in getting on base. There was talk yesterday of Damon being back today, but we'll see. Considering the injuries and at time woeful pitching, the Yanks are doing very well as a whole. You'd think the Sox lead would be bigger than 3 games.
I'm going to likely miss the next 3 games. I have a wedding to attend tonight and tomorrow I'm headed to Pittsburgh for the MLB All-Star Fanfest. I'm going to that Saturday and Sunday. It should be a blast and I'm pretty excited. I'm not sure if my schedule will afford me time to blog an entry or two over the weekend. I'll be home late tonight but am leaving at 6am for Pittsburgh. It's a 3 hour drive and I'm probably going to drive back Saturday and then do it all again on Sunday. I don't mind driving and it beats a hotel.
Enjoy your weekend and go Yankees!
J

0 comments: