Tuesday, July 18, 2006

This Is Awesome

I posted a few days ago about the 83 year old guy who stepped into the batter's box to take some hacks and set the record for the oldest ballpalyer. The record is about to fall.
One of the game's greatest ambassadors, Buck O'Neil, at 94 years young, is playing in a minor league all-star game tonight. That's awesome. I'm a big fan of Buck's. I had the pleasure of meeting him 2 days ago when he was in Rochester for a signing. Buck is pretty nimble for a 94-year-old and I wouldn't doubt it if he puts wood on the ball, but it looks like he'll be drawing an intentional walk. I wish the game were televised but I'm sure this will make its way onto the highlight reel.
I'm very disappointed that Buck O'Neil was not inducted into the HOF as part of the special election that was held in May. He's done a lot for the sport and is deserving of the honor. If anyone is interested in signing an online petition to show your support for Buck, here is a link. I'm thinking of creating an "Induct Buck" t-shirt and wearing it to Cooperstown when I go next weekend. I only hope that if and when Buck is inducted it is not done posthumously. That would be a shame.
J-Boogie

0 comments: