Monday, March 5, 2007

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

I didn't get to watch the Yankee game today. Silly me forgot to set the DVR. I was trying to follow along by continuously checking out the box score. Wasn't much fun. I saw that that they were down a run in the 9th with 2 out. I hit refresh and the score changed to 6-5. A co-worker of mine, Jeff, was standing at my desk when I saw it, and i put my fist in the air and went "YES!" He thought I was nuts for getting excited about a spring training victory. I said to him, "Hey dude. I take pride in every victory cuz that's how I roll." I couldn't sell him on it. He's a Braves fan. Yeah, good luck with that.
So after basking in the glory of a early spring training victory, I studied the box score. Here's what I surmised:
Kei Igawa's performance didn't surprise me. It basically went as I expected. Again, I didn't see the game, so these conclusions are strictly by the numbers. 3 walks and 3 Ks. We knew he had the ability to strike guys out. We also know that he's still developing his control this year. His first pitch of spring training was reportedly nowhere near its target. It's still too early to tell.
When is Doug Mientkewicz going to get that first hit? Still batting a ******** .000. Man, he better be slick with that glove. He's got some competition with Phelps and Phillips.
Bosom buddies A-Rod and Jeter are looking like they're off to good starts. Sheffield thinks this will be A-Rod's best year in Pinstripes. Let's hope your right Gary. And yes, I still don't like Gary all that much.
Tyler Clippard. He's going to be the shiznit when he gets the call up. Take it to the bank.
The Yankees are 5-0. The Red Sox are 1-4. I know it's only spring training, but it's still fun to point that out. Matsuzaka gets his first "real" start of the spring tomorrow. I'm not sure you can call a start against the Marlins "real," but at least it's not against a college. That'd be like me pitching against 5 year olds. No contest.
Finally, if you haven't yet, go check out Sox and Pinstripes. It's a good stuff. You'll dig it.
Peace, love and Pinstripes.
J

0 comments: