Thursday, March 22, 2007

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise

As mentioned here in the Boogie Down 1 short month ago, the Red Sox have announced that Jonathan Papelbon will again assume the role of their closer. Here's what I said back in February:
"And what would my blog be without a little Red Sox talk. I'm not sure if there is any truth to this rumor, but a guy at work was telling me that the Sox have decided on their closer, they're just not announcing it yet. He said it was mentioned on ESPN, but I didn't see it. Apparently, it'll be Jonathan Papelbon. Let him start, let him close. I don't care. I personally see him getting lit up this year, especially if he starts. As a closer, he'll be alright, but an ERA of 2.5-3.5 is in the cards for him. If you think he's going to dominate and have another sub 1.00 ERA, come talk to me in October, so I can say I told you so. The league will figure him out."
Like I said back then, let him start, let him close, it won't matter. I don't think he has any chance of duplicating the success he had last season. And I wouldn't be surprised if like last year, his arm/shoulder burns out sometime late in the season, regardless of the precautions that the Sox take with the hurler. It should be interesting to see how Julian Tavarez performs as the Sox 5th starter. So much for the Sox rotation being far superior to the Yankees. As I said a few weeks back, at best the Sox rotation was on par with the Yankees. I think the Sox took a step back here pitching wise. In 10 short days, we'll begin to find out if I'm right.
And hair or not, Papelbon will always be Private Pyle to me.
J-Boogie

0 comments: