Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Final Countdown

1 day left in the regular season. Wow. My how the time flies. We already know the postseason participants in the AL, bu t we still don't know who matches up with who as nobody seems to want to win the Central. As I've stated before, I hope the Twins walk away with it. I've never been two impressed with the Tigers.
The Yankees have wrapped up home-field for the entire duration of their run in the playoffs. That makes me happy. But even though tomorrow's game means nothing in the grand scheme of things there is still plenty of reason to tune in, as it should be an exciting day around the majors.
There are still 3 divisions up for grabs. Dodgers or Padres? Twins or Tigers? Cardinals or Astros? Prior to the start if the season I pegged the Dodgers and the Astros as their respective division winners so I'm pulling for those two. Besides, the Astros would be such a great story. The run they've put together has been amazing. An Astros win and a Cards loss would mean the Cards would have to play their canceled game against the Giants. A Cards loss in that game would mean a 1-game playoff on Tuesday against the 'Stros. Man this is an exciting time. The Dodgers, Padres, Twins, and Tigers are all assured of a postseason berth, but their games still have meaning as it's going to determine who plays who next week. Man, I love this game. Even down to the last day, it's still exciting.
And finally, we have the Yankees and the Jays. Not much reason to watch you say? Let me remind you that Derek Jeter is in the thick of a batting race. While Joe Mauer road the pine today, Jeter went 3-3 and rose his average to .3447. Mauer is batting .3462. Man that's close. 1 hit might sway the title to the Yankee Captain. Even though Derek doesn't care about personal accomplishments, adding a batting title to your resume can't hurt, and I'll be pulling for him. And finally, Joe Torre is carrying on the tradition of having a player manage the team on the final day, as he's tapped Bernie Williams to man the reigns tomorrow. I think I can speak for every Yankee fan when I say bring Bernie back. Who will he have be the pitching coach? Gotta go with Mo!
Let's go Yankees!
J

0 comments: