Saturday, September 23, 2006

Jonathan Papelbon Called Me Crazy

Being on vacation, I didn't really have have much to do yesterday, so i decided I'd drive back up to Toronto for the Red Sox/Jays game, and try my luck at maybe getting a few things signed. I got there around 11am, and went to the team's hotel and waited outside with the other "hounds" and fans that had congregated. There were maybe 7 or so people. A few players popped out their heads, but non would even acknowledge anyone. The only player that did was Matt Clement. Ortiz ignored everyone and wouldn't even give a polite wave. So I struck out in the morning, so I went to the game.
During BP, I literally was 3 inches from David Ortiz. He was sitting against a wall near the corner of the dugout. He was talking to some guy, so we let him have their conversation. Conversation ended and he bounced up and ran away. He didn't make one motion toward anyone and didn't even wave wave to the few hundred or so people that were cheering for him. I've been to a lot of team's batting practices in many different stadiums, and I can say that the Red Sox are the absolute worst team when it comes to fan acknowledgment, by far. Most will at least tip their cap or give a little wave. With the Sox, nothing. Everyone struck out at the game as well. They were on and off the field without taking the time for anyone. It's not like these guys have anything to play for.
After the game, I went back to the hotel. I was there with 3 other people when the first team bus got there. Schilling faked like he was on the cell phone. He pulled it out on the steps of the bus and put it away after he walked 3 feet into the hotel. Most guys walked right by and didn't even look your way when you said "good game." Papelbon at least said "sorry, I can't." So things were looking bleak. Ortiz ended up leaving the hotel by cab and again didn't look in the fan's direction. By now, there were maybe 10 or so people, several of whom were card carrying members of the RSN. As time passed, the number of people waiting dwindled and it got down to 3 of us. A few guys ended up signing but it wasn't anyone of any interest. Most were September call-ups. Yawn. It was now around 2:30 am. The only players we knew were out and about were Ortiz, Wily Mo Pena, and Papelbon. Papelbon had left a few hours earlier by cab. To his credit, he did sign for one girl. She rushed onto the hotel property and had him sign a "Who's Your Papelbon?" shirt that she said she made. Rule number one is to stay off the property, but she bum rushed him at the cab and signed her shirt. Whatever works I guess. So to recap there are 3 of us that are left waiting. I look down the street and see Ortiz walking across with another guy (non-player) and some "handler" who was also there with some of the Yankees. As he approaches one of us asks "Mr. Ortiz, could you spare a few seconds to sign a few?" The "handler" steps forward and says "He has a broken finger and it hurts him to write. Maybe tomorrow." LOL. How about taking the 3 seconds to say "sorry, but I can't." He is the one guy I've come across who seems to be so unapproachable. There are a lot of guys out there that choose not to sign, and that's fine, I get it. But most, if not all, will at least say something to you. The Red Sox, not so much. Now there were 2 of us. About 1 minute behind Ortiz was Wily Mo Pena. He actually stopped and signed for the 2 of us. Thanks very much Wily. We appreciated it. It was about 2:45 am and a slight drizzle began to fall.
The 2 of us that were left were basically going to give it another 15 minutes. When the Yankees were in town, they all seemed to be back between 2-3, so we stuck it out. We saw Jonathan walking up the street with another guy. We allowed him to approach and walk onto the hotel property. We kept our distance and politely asked "Jonathan, would you mind signing 2 autographs?" He looked at us and said, "You guys are crazy. It's 3am and it's raining out. What are you still doing here?" I said we were fans and were hoping to get some autographs. Now as you all know, I'm not a Sox fan. I am a baseball fan and I do appreciate talent and a good player, so I wasn't lying. But in the end, I guess that didn't matter because he just kept walking. 2 autographs would take about 10 seconds, if that. Thanks for your time. He at least acknowledged us, even though he called us crazy.
In the end though, I don't mind if a player doesn't sign. That's up to them and I don't ever expect to get anything. They have lives like you and me and when they're not at the park, they're not "on the clock." It's been my experience that 99% of the time they will sign for the most part, especially if there aren't a lot of people around. When I was in Toronto the only guys that didn't sign were Jeter, Posada, Bernie Williams, A-Rod, Randy Johnson and Mike Mussina. Everyone else, no problem. No one really saw A-rod, Johnson or Mussina to ask. Bernie at least waved and looked like he wanted to sign but he was the last one on the bus so he didn't. Jeter would talk to you and take pictures, but wouldn't sign. And Posada, well, he's just not very approachable. I can't say that the Red Sox were very friendly, at least not last night anyway. Except for......
There was one guy who actually signed autographs and chatted with the bunch of us out there and that was Julian Tavarez. He seemed actually pretty nice though I was half-expecting him to snap at any second. He did say 1 thing that made me laugh. Someone asked him about Manny. I didn't the exact question, but his answer, which wasn't delivered in the nicest of tones was "He's a $160 million dollar mother f'er!" I'm guessing the 2 don't get along. I'm curious if any of the other Sox players share his opinion, or if Tavarez is the odd man out on that ship. Based on what I saw from his fellow teammates that day, I'd think Tavarez may be the lone standout in that bunch.
In the end, I walked away with a signed Wily Mo ball. I got home at around 5 am. Looking back, it was a colossal waste of time. But it was fun, and I can always tell people that Jonathan Papelbon called me crazy. And yes Jon, I guess I am a little crazy every now and then.
I wonder if 5 years from now, when I tell that story, if people will say "Who's Jonathan Papelbon?"
J

0 comments: