Thursday, October 9, 2008

Another Robbie Cano Rumor

I was getting ready to turn in for the evening. I decided before calling it a day to give Pete Abraham's blog one last look. To my surprise there's a new post up that mentions a Yankees/Mets trade rumor. I never put much stock in trade rumors as they always seem to end up being nothing more than idle chatter. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean they're not fun to talk about. This one I found particular interesting. The rumor has the Yankees getting Carlos Beltran in exchnage for Robinson Cano, Ian Kennedy, Bruney or Veras, a prospect, and cash. Hmm. Off the bat I'm not sure how I feel about this deal. I can live without Bruney or Veras. I can live without Ian Kennedy. I can live without a prospect who will probably never don the Pinstripes anyway. And it's not money. The real question is, can I live without Robinson Cano? I'm not sure I can.

A lot have people have soured on Robbie after one down year. I'm not one of them. Consider this if you will, and thanks to Ben at River Ave Blues for putting this together:

For all of his perceived struggles in 2008, Cano’s numbers break down nicely, in a way. On May 3, Cano bottomed out at .150/.213/.230. Over the rest of this season, his numbers were nearly in line with his 2007 level. From May 4 until the end of the year, Cano came to bat 512 times and hit .300/.327/.452 with 12 home runs, 32 doubles, three triples and 65 RBI.

If you want to read more on Cano's 2008, Ben did a great job breaking it down. I personally think it's way too early to give up on Robbie. His #s over those last 512 ABs are pretty much in line with his career numbers, which aren't anything to scoff at. Cano has a lot of upside and discounting his value based on his 2008 would be extremely short-sighted. Cano is going to help the Yankees win many titles. Beltran would help them win one or two over a short period of time.

That being said, I do like Beltran. I think they made a big mistake in not signing him years ago. He would be perfect for the Yankees. I don't think though that either side would be on board with this deal and I be surprised if it ever became anything more than a rumor. If there were ever to be serious discussions about a deal like this, I'm not sure what I'd do if I were Brian Cashman. The Yanks are going to need some OFs in 2010 and Carlos Beltran would be a nice one to have. But great second basemen don't come along that often. I think I'd be inclined to keeping Cano. His name is going to get tossed around a lot this offseason. As mentioned in a lot of various outlets, a lot of people in MLB are diminishing Cano's value and I think it's pretty stupid to do that. I really hope that Cashman and the crew don't give up on him just yet. It doesn't sound like they are from what I've read. We'll find out over the course of the next few months. Ah, the hot stove. I love it.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read that rumor too. If Cashman wanted Beltran so badly, why didn't he sign him when he was a free agent? Besides, the bullpen was the one area where the Yankees had some strength. I don't see them trading Bruney, in particular. Veras? Wouldn't mind seeing him go.