Sunday, October 19, 2008

Tisk Tisk Tisk

I woke this morning and had a text alert from the YES Network. I wasn't sure what it would pertain to as there isn't much news going on in the Yankees Universe. I opened the message and it read "Joba Chamberlain arrested for driving under the influence in Nebraska early Saturday morning." My first thought was "are you kidding me?" I went downstairs and immediately posed this question to my wife, "Guess who got arrested for DWI?" I didn't think she'd have an answer because it was such an odd question, but she immediately blurted out "Don," the name of one of my friends. After chuckling for a second or two, I told her who it was and she couldn't believe it. I then wiggled on over to the PC to see what details I could find. I figured if anybody had the scoop it was Pete Abraham. Here are the details as written in his blog:

Deborah Collins, a spokeswoman for the Nebraska State Patrol, said that the 23-year-old Chamberlain was pulled over after being observed speeding in a 2006 BMW 750i shortly after 1 a.m. on U.S. 77.

Chamberlain was arrested after an odor of alcohol was detected and an open container of alcohol was observed on the front passenger seat. Chamberlain was taken to the Cornhusker Place Detox and booked on charges of driving under the influence, having an open container of alcohol and speeding.

I have one question for Joba: "What the hell were you thinking?" Man what a stupid thing to do. For starters, he could have killed someone. Second, he could have gotten himself in an accident and potentially ended his career. Third, being a public figure there is no chance that he won't be subject to public scrutiny as a person. The heckles should be very interesting.

There haven't been many details released. I'm curious how intoxicated he was. Not that a low BAC would change my mind on anything, I'm just curious if the breaking news is being overblown. And I'm really hoping we don't hear that he was uttering statements like, "don't you know who I am," in an attempt to get out of spending time in the clink.

People have often commented that Joba is an extremely mature person. You can basically throw that notion right out the window because this act of stupidity pretty much erases that. I don't think he, or anyone that drives under the influence for that matter, should be given preferential treatment. It was an incredibly irresponsible thing to do and he needs to learn from this. Getting off lightly doesn't send the right message. I really hope the Yankees don't sweep this under any kind of rug. If I were Brian Cashman or any high ranking Yankee official, I'd really make Joba do a heck of a lot of community service or whatever they come up with. Hopefully, Joba mans up and takes this head on, learns from his mistake, and uses his popularity to help curb this problem. Hopefully some good comes out of this. And again, it's good that nobody got hurt.

Next time, take a cab.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: