Wednesday, October 25, 2006

And The Winner Is.... Part 2

was in a hurry at the completion of my last entry congratulating Jeter on the Aaron award, so I didn't get to congratulate Yankee closer Mariano Rivera on winning the DHL Delivery Man of the Year Award, for the 2nd year in a row I might add. While I think the fans got it right with the Hank Aaron award, I don't think that Rivera was best reliever in MLB.
Rivera was in the running along with 9 of the game's best relievers: Trevor Hoffman, Bobby Jenks, Joe Nathan, Jonathan Papelbon, Francisco Rodriguez, B.J. Ryan, Billy Wagner, J.J. Putz and Joel Zumaya. Don't get me wrong, Mo had another great year, but I don't think he was the league's best. As hard as this is to say, I thought that Jonathan Papelbon should have gotten the nod. He was the only one with an ERA less than 1.00. He had the lowest WHIP, and he only allowed a total of 8 runs the entire season. In my opinion, the other relievers didn't hold a candle to him in 2006. He was lights out and by far the most dominant. Hands down.
The fans missed the boat on this one.
J-Boogie

0 comments: