Thursday, October 26, 2006

Free Gary

According to Gary Sheffield, the Yankees are going to exercise the $13 million dollar option they have on him for 2007. This leaves me scratching my head as I thought for sure Sheffield was on his way out of the Bronx. Now unless Brian Cashman has a master plan for Sheffield, I think it's a bad move. There's simply no room for him. Sure he could play 1B, but do we really need to pay a guy $13 million to do that? I understand that Giambi, if he plays 1B regularly, might need a day off or two, but Sheffield isn't the answer. As I see it, the potential starting 9 is Posada, Giambi, Cano, Jeter, A-Rod, Abreu, Damon, Matsui and then you have the option of Melky Cabrera or Andy Philips to round it out. I don't think there is value in paying Sheffield $13 mill to round out the lineup, when there are much better things to spend the money on, like starting pitching. The Yanks could get by with Melky or Philips. If the Yankee brass aren't enamored with the idea of Melky and/or Philips playing every day, take part of Sheffield's salary and spend it on a guy that's a step or two below Sheffield, and a step or two above Melky and/or Philips. Sheffield isn't our best option.
Now perhaps this move makes sense if Giambi's wrist is going to be a problem. Maybe Cashman is buying some time to see how that plays out before they decide to part ways with Sheff. Exercise the option, and then trade him. That's a possibility. Sheffield has been quoted as saying, "I don't know what they're going to do. Maybe they picked it up just to trade me. If they do that, if I just [go] to a team for one year, there's going to be a problem. A big problem. I will not do this." Well then Gary, maybe you should have thought about this when you signed the contract. You don't really have a choice. Fortunately for him, if he raises a stink, he'll likely get his way and get a ticket out of NY, which is fine with me. I really wish I were in Cashman's head or better yet, a fly on the wall of his office. That would be interesting.
There is some speculation out there that the Yankees want to exercise the option and trade him, just to prevent him from signing as a free agent with the Red Sox, who are one of the rumored suitors for him if he were to become a free agent. Now I could see why they'd want to do this. It makes sense. Perhaps the Yankees already have something in the works? Cashman isn't the type of guy who would do this on a whim. If it's his intent to sign him and trade him, he's got something already cooking on the hot stove.
The only other thing I can think of is that the Yankees are just going to spend, spend, spend this offseason and not worry about the payroll or making an attempt to lower it. Throw money at the problem and hope for the best. The Yankees and their fans have been hoping for the best since 2000, so maybe that approach isn't the answer. It's time to get smart about things, and step one is not having Sheffield in Pinstripes in 2007 and beyond. He's a cancer in the clubhouse and his comments do nothing to detract from that. There is only one thing that Sheffield cares about, and that's himself. Yeah, and you're the real leader of the team. Yeah, right.
Now all of this is speculation right now. The Yankees haven't formally exercised the option. We've all seen these things get reported and turn out to be nothing more than people stirring the pot. It could come down to the Yankees declining the option and allowing Sheffield to walk. I'd be fine with that. Gary Sheffield doesn't scare me. Well he does a little, but I'd have to have front row seats on the third base line for him to do that. The option needs to be exercised by the 5th of November, or within 5 days of the conclusion of the World Series. In all likelihood, weather permitting, the World Series will end before November 1st. Then the clock starts ticking. As I mentioned earlier, Cashman is a smart guy. I've stated in previous posts that he isn't going to make a move if it's not for the good of the team. If the decision is to retain the services of Sheffield, I suppose I can get behind it, but I'd need to know the why first. I just think better things will come from allowing him to walk.
Free Gary!
J-Boogie

0 comments: