Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Return Of The Boogie

So it's understandably been a few days since I've blogged. If you checked out my last post, you'd know why. The good news is we got our power back Sunday night. The bad news is that there are still a lot of people out there without power. I was calling my home phone all weekend when we were without power, hoping that the answering machine would kick on. Finally it did, and my wife's voice never sounded so sweet. I don't know how those without power are making it without the simple luxuries. TV. Internet. Lights. Heat. I don't know how they did it back in the old days. I definitely couldn't do it. I've wanted to post the last few days, but work has been kicking my tail. 12 hour days are no fun. I've said it before, work and I don't get along. But let's talk Yankees.
So the Cubbies are interested in A-Rod? Someone tell me why that's news? We know this, don't we? Aren't most of the teams out there interested in Alex. Why wouldn't they be. They'd be stupid not to be interested. But we all know that Alex isn't going anywhere, which is why I wonder why this is a story? Unless it's lip service, both Alex and Brian Cashman have made it clear that Alex is staying in Pinstripes, and I applaud that decision. I don't think you can replace that bat in the lineup. But at the same time, if in fact Alex ever does get traded, it's not going to happen unless it's bettering the Yanks, and I don't see that happening. The only thing right now I'd like to see happen is for the Yankees to get some pitching, and I think that can get done without trading Alex. The Yankees are in position to free up some cash this off-season. First, get rid of Sheffield. Boom there's some money. But out Jaret Wright's contract. Boom, more money. Do everything you can to get out of Carl Pavano's contract. Mo money, mo money, money. And finally, resign Mike Mussina, but ONLY at a much reduced rate. The highest paid pitcher in baseball should win more than 14 games, am I right? I don't know their collective salaries, but it's a lot of money. A lot of money that can be thrown at some quality free agent pitchers. And then you keep the lineup in tact, and your staff gets better. Brian Cashman is a smart guy. Anything he does, I find it easy to get behind. He's not out there trying to hurt the Yanks chances to win #27. Which brings me to this......
A few weeks back, Jonathan over at Red Sox Nation Daily, posted that if anyone from the Yankee organization needed to go, it was Brian Cashman. I consider Jonathan to be a pretty smart guy, and one of the more realistic Red Sox fans. Jonathan's contention was that Cashman had made some poor signings, which I'll agree with in hindsight. Guys like Randy Johnson, Pavano, Dotel. He faulted Cashman for fielding a team with a $230 million dollar payroll that could only muster one playoff win. Fair enough, but I had to disagree with his assessment of Cashman. I left these comments on his blog in response to his post:
" disagree with you that Cashman needs to go. If anything he should be applauded for what he didn't do, and that's trade Cano, Wang, Hughes, or Cabrera when Matsui and Sheffield went down, or even at the deadline. He didn't make any rash moves that could have mortgaged the future as well.
As for the signees you mentioned, though they may not have panned out as hoped, I think you can go around the league and tear apart many bad signings or trades. Jason Johnson. Rudy Seanez. Javy Lopez. Julian Tavarez until the end of the year. If you go the Randy Johnson route, you can throw David Wells into that boat. I know you're a realistic Sox fan, so I'm not thinking you'll defend Theo on his moves, or better yet on his lack of moves, specifically at the deadline."
To reiterate my point, Cashman could have panicked and dealt guys like Melky, Cano, Wang, and/or Hughes to bring in bigger named talent, but he didn't. Think of what could have been. Wang wins 19 games for another team. Robbie doesn't finish 3rd in the batting race. Melky doesn't fill in for Matsui and we don't have "the catch." Hughes gets dealt and we never know what could have been. Cashman should be applauded for his efforts, and his actions. I had said at the beginning of the season that the most important offseason move the Yankees made in 2005 was re-signing Brian Cashman. I still feel that way today. The guy does wonders. I have confidence that any move he makes is going to better the ballclub. I don't think trading A-Rod is the answer, but if it ever happens, good things will only come of it.
Peace, love, and Pinstripes.
J-Boogie

0 comments: