Monday, August 6, 2007

Be Afraid

Has today's game always been scheduled for a 1pm start? I wouldn't think that the opener of a series would be a day game, especially in Toronto. Oh, how I wish I was there. I originally had this week scheduled for a vacation so I could cross the border for this 3 game set. I can't remember the last time I wasn't in Toronto for a Yankees series. But with the baby's due date being 2 weeks away, the missus didn't want me leaving the country. Since I didn't go, I'm sure the baby won't come out for another few weeks. Had I gone, you can bet I'd have gotten a 911 call. That's the way it goes. And of course, the rotation is Pettitte, Clemens, and Wang. I would have loved to have seen them throw. Oh well. That's the way it goes.
Yankees fans have to be extremely pleased with the current run of success. I know I am. They had to capitalize on the "cream puff" schedule they had in the last month if they wanted to get back into the thick of things. They've gone 18-7 since the All-Star break and now find themselves a half-game back of the Detroit Tigers for the wild card. The offense has been absolutely nuts over that stretch. They racked up an amazing 196 runs in that 25 game span. They lead the league in AVG, OBP, and SLG. They had the best record in MLB in July at 19-9, and they're 4-1 to start August. Just think we're they'd be had they played this well all season long. These guys had to do well over this last month if they wanted any kind of chance at making it into the postseason. They dug deep, pulled together, and took care of business. Now the real fun begins.
Be afraid American League. Be very afraid.
J

0 comments: