Monday, August 11, 2008

Yanks In Need Of A Performance Enhancer

OK, I slept on it. And right now if the Yankees want to make a serious run at the postseason, they need to inject some life into this ballclub. Pitching is a major concern, but the offense is also struggling mightily. I've mentioned it before and though I highly doubt it will happen, I think it's the perfect move. Bring in our favorite big-headed monster, Barry Bonds.

If Bonds truly will play for the league minimum like he's said he would, than this is a no-brainer. I'm not sure if what the exact pro-rated league minimum is, but I believe it's less than $200k. This is another one of those low risk, high reward moves. I don't even think you can put a ceiling on how high that reward would be. Just penciling that name into the lineup makes it infinitely better, even if Bonds strikes out every plate appearance. Who would you rather have in the Yankees' lineup? Justin Christian, Melky Cabrera, or Barry Bonds? Stupid question if I ever heard one.

If the Yankees were to sign Bonds, they can easily option Christian back to the minors. If I'm Girardi I then park Melky's rump on the bench, move Damon to CF, put Nady in LF, and have Bonds DH. Damon needs a day off? No problem. Put Melky in CF. Nady needs some rest? Put Damon in LF and put Melky in CF. Oh, Bobby Abreu is tired. Nady in RF, Damon in LF, Melky in CF. Melky basically becomes the 4th OF, which truthfully, is all he should be. Think about this lineup, or something like it:

Damon CF
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
A-Rod 3B
Bonds DH
Giambi 1B
Nady LF
Cano 2B
Pudge C

Talk about a sick lineup. Even if you shake it up, say move Abreu down, flip-flop Bonds and A-Rod, whatever, it's a billion times better than it is with Melky in there. If you ask me, it's the smart move, considering it only would cost the league minimum. It's pretty much what they're doing with Sexson. If the Yankees don't do it, some other contender will. They'd all be dumb not to. Sign Bonds before 9/1 and he is eligible for the playoffs. Rosters also expand on 9/1, so sending down a guy like Christian, who gives you late-inning speed on the bases, is only temporary.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. So am I the only one on this Bonds bandwagon?? Feel free to comment and/or cast a vote in the poll in the upper-left.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's an interesting thought. but who knows if he's ready to face big-league pitching. remember, he's 44 years old.

J-Boogie said...

I agree Jeff. It is a ? mark, but at this point, I think they have to take a shot. I'd assume Bonds has kept himslef in playing shape, but who knows.