Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Yankees Beat Rays Thanks To Carl Crawford Being A Dummy

After tonight's Yankees' victory I had a brief back-and-forth via text with my buddy, and sometimes commenter, Danny Mac. His text summed things up perfectly: "2nd base at the Trop to fast guys must be like kryptonite to Superman." Yesterday it was Brett Gardner. Tonight it was Carl Crawford. What a bonehead. Thanks for being a dummy, dummy. It amazes me how these professionals, especially the ultra-fast ones, fail to realize that the risks on that play far outweigh any reward. In all probability they would need a base hit to score from 3rd and in all probability they would score from 2nd on the same base hit. Two dumb moves in two days. Crawford's though, in my opinion, was much more dumb.

Please cancel the Amber-alert. The Yankees offense has been found. 8 runs on 13 hits and 6 walks. Welcome back guys. Missed you. I was listening to the game on the radio when the Yanks picked up their first 4 runs. John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman commented that right after Teixeira's sac fly you could sense that the Yankees dugout felt a little more relaxed and that might have been reason for the offense waking up. I can see that. I'm not sure how Waldman and Sterling could from their vantage point but whatever. I'll roll with it.

It's a good thing they showed up today because they needed all 8 runs. I took my son to "Bounce Magic" tonight so I caught the 1st half of the game on the radio and the 2nd half on TV. I missed a small portion of the game which in reality was a pretty big portion. I left the game with the Yankees up 6-0. I came back and it was 7-6 Rays. Excuse me? How the heck did that happen in 1/2 an inning? I checked in with the most reliable sources I know....people on Twitter. As I expected, it was Joe Girardi's fault. I looked at the play-by-play from that inning and it's pretty ugly. I don't see what exactly Girardi did so if anyone that saw the game wants to let me know, I'd appreciate it. Since the game was on My9 I'll have to wait until tomorrow to check for postgame comments. I'd assume there will be some.

The win snaps an awful losing streak. It was a little touch-and-go there in the 10th but Mo did what he's done so many times in the past, pick up the Mariano (I advocate changing the word "save" to "Mariano" - get on board!). It was a great win for the Yankees and I think it's going to pull them from their little funk. They're back in first place, albeit by a half-game and they're one step closer to clinching a playoff spot. The magic # is now 11. With any luck I'll wake up tomorrow and find that it dropped to 10 due to a Red Sox loss (they're currently up 4-2). It would make for a great start to my Hump-day.

Peace, love and Pinstripes,

J-Boogie

0 comments: