Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Highway Robbery

I was checking out fellow Yankee blogger Da Bronx Bomber's site. He's out in Cali and was in Oakland for the opener. It sounds like he had a good time and he has some stories to share so go check them out. Anyway, the ever-present Lord of the Blogosphere left him a comment, which directs you to Barry Bonds' website to check out their take on the famous "Trade Barry" sign outside AT&T Park. It really is marketing genius.
Being an autograph collector, I thought I'd check out Bonds' store to see how much money a signed Barry Bonds baseball was. There are 4 to choose from. The cheapest, which has just his signature, goes for $600. $600!!! He has to be kidding right? That has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. The other balls range from $700 up to $1300, the $1300 is actually for two balls -- one signed by Bonds, the other by Willie Mays. Let me know if I'm the only one who thinks that this is absurd? Who comes up with these prices?
I thought I'd check out balls signed by A-Rod and those, while still expensive, were a little cheaper than Bonds'. Alex's cheapest ball, which is just his signature and uniform number, goes for $359. The most expensive ball was $2500, which is a signed game-used ball from the game he hit #300. To quote Phil Rizzutto, "Holy Cow!"
Somebody is making a lot of money. This is what makes it impossible for the average fan to ever own a piece of memorabilia signed by their favorite player. I've heard that A-Rod will sign before some games, though I've yet to see it in person when I'm in Toronto. And believe me, I'm there well before the gates open. With any luck, this might be the year. I've seen Jeter sign for quite a while before a game.
It's always good to see anyone sign, it really is. It's nice to see a player give back. In the age of E-Bay, I can understand why they don't want to b/c they are basically giving people free money. It makes it tough for people like me to build a nice memorabilia collection (currently about 60 signed balls, all within the last 2 years). I was at an Orioles game two years ago when they were playing the Red Sox. I was standing right in front when Pedro started to sign. i was very excited as he's one of the game's greatest pitchers, but he skipped right by me and said he only would sign for kids because adults sell his stuff. Bummer.
I really wonder how a $600 price tag can be slapped on a signed baseball? More so, I wonder if anyone ever ponied up the cheddar to buy one? $600! To put that in perspective, I can go to an autograph show in Cooperstown on Induction Weekend, spend $665 and walk away with 15 signed balls by some of the greatest players to ever play the game. Still a lot of money, but break it down ball by ball, and it's not a bad value.
How do you spell rip off? B-a-r-r-y.
J

0 comments: