Thursday, April 6, 2006

What Went Wang?

Such an obvious title to a post, don't you think? Boy the Yankes blew that one.
I thought Wang had a good outing. If not for a defensive miscue by Jeter/Cano, he might have put up zeroes. There's this guy in one of my Diamond Mind leagues that doesn't like Wang because he's a soft tosser. Hey, whatever gets the job done. His ability to induce a ground ball will come in handy.
I was terrified that Sturtze was going to give up a first pitch grand slam when he came in. Thankfully, he didn't. Wright is another one that makes me worry when he pitches, and I think it's justifiable. I wouldn't necessarily pin the loss on him because if Cano fields that grounder, who knows how events would have unfolded? Wright is still not a guy I want to see on the hill in a close game come the late innings. I was a little surprised he started the 8th. I guess it didn't matter who started the inning as the bullpen imploded.
The bats at the top of the lineup continue to look good. Let's hope they don't slump. I don't know how Sheffield doesn't strike out more? He's all over the place when he swings, but boy does he hit the ball hard! That ball left the yard with the quickness. See ya!
I think in Japan they spell Matsui: M-V-P? He's certainly playing like one. I'm glad the Yankees locked him up for a few more years.
I like Cano in the 9-hole. He's starting off a little slow but when he starts to heat up, watch out. Getting him on a base is a good way to turn the lineup over.
Message to Bernie Williams: You have to swing the bat to hit the ball! 3 backwards Ks and a game ending foul out. Ouch. Not what we need. I like Bernie, I really do. But I hope Torre doesn't continue to pencil him in the lineup every day out of loyalty. Give Bubba and Phillips a shot. Heck, throw Cairo in at 2nd and let Cano DH. Maybe then we wouldn't have as many costly errors. I'm not giving up on Cano. It's just frustrating to see plays like that.
How A-Rod hit .385 in the series is beyond me? It seems like every time he's up he strikes out with a runner in scoring position. Is it just me?
A dinger from Giambi would be nice.
Will we ever see Mike Myers face a righty? Let's hope not. His numbers are terrible.
Man, Jorge is so slow. I think my Grandma could have beat out that grounder in the 9th.
Message to Robinson Cano: Stay down on the ball and keep it in front of you! Defense wins championships. Just ask Bill Buckner, he'll tell ya.
Not a great finish to the series. Defense cost us that one. It doesn't help either that the Yankees struck out 25 times in the 3 game set. We should have saved some runs for games 2 and 3. But as a whole, I'm pleased with their performance, but winning the series would have been nice. But I'm encouraged about what I saw. There's just a few wrinkles that need smoothing out. It's the first series of the season. It's no indication of what's to come. No need to worry.
J

0 comments: