Wednesday, April 5, 2006

They Can't Win 'Em All

Tough one to lose.
Mussina looked sharp. He had pretty good control. The only thing that concerned me was the 2 HRs he gave up. We saw a little of that in spring training. Let's hope it's nothing that haunts Moose all season.
The offense wasn't as stellar as they were in the opener, but how could they be after that performance? Timely hitting. We didn't have that tonight. The Yanks could have broke the game open in the 1st, but Harden struck out Sheffield, then A-Rod, then Giambi. The Yankees left a lot of runners on base. We had plenty of baserunners, just couldn't move them around. Same problem that plagued the lineup early last year. That baserunning blunder was totally on A-Rod. You have to check the runner on 3rd before you commit. I know Sheffield got the hold sign a little late, but the replay made it look like A-Rod was following the throw and not checking out Sheff. If Jeter and Damon can continue to get on base, watch out. Damon is looking real good so far! He excites me (get your head out of the gutter).
We got a decent glimpse of the bullpen tonight. Myers looks good. That walk to Chavez was questionable. He'll serve the Yankees well against lefties. Farnsworth looked good considering he only faced two batters. A fly out and a pop out. Good stuff.
At least A-Rod didn't strike out in the 9th with runners in scoring position. Am I the only one that thinks he has a tendency to do that? Don't get me wrong, he's well deserving of the MVP, but I'm sick of seeing him K late in the game with runners on.
Can someone tell me why Scott Proctor is a Yankee? Can someone tell me? The guy gave up 10 HRs last year in 44 innings and his numbers are horrible. Why he's used in a tie-game in the 9th inning is beyond me? Cashman needs to put him on a bus from Oakland to Columbus ASAP. Matsui may have been playing a little too shallow, but you can't walk the leadoff hitter on 4 straight pitches in a game situation like that. I understand you can't give the ball off to Mo in that situation, but Scott Poctor? He and Sturtze are the only ones I worry about. On a related note, I wish Scott and his wife the best with respect to their daughter.
Small ball wins games.
Wang gets the call tomorrow. Another late game. I can't wait for the off day so I can get a good night's sleep. Who I'm kidding? I live for this. What a great motto!
J

0 comments: