Sunday, April 2, 2006

Stop Freaking Raining

I hate Mother Nature. How does she expect me to stay up to watch the end of this game? Doesn't she know I have to work tomorrow? I should have taken the day off, then it wouldn't be an issue.
I had noticed on the Buffalo Bisons website (AAA affiliate of the Indians in case you didn't know) that they were having an "opening night" party down at the restaurant in their stadium. $5 admission (which went to charity) got you in the door. You also got a ticket to their 2nd home game, door prize drawings every half inning, and best of all....FREE CHICKEN WINGS! The Bisons coaching staff as well as some of the players were going to be there as well. It sounded cool so my friend Jeff and I made a late decision and decided to go down for part of the game (we ended up leaving when the delay started). I was hoping Andy Marte would be there as I'm hoping to get his autograph before he gets the call to The Show, which knowing my luck, will be the day before I get to one of their home games (the free ticket was for the 2nd home game of the season against the Columbus Clippers-SCORE! Go Yanks!). Well anyway, I didn't do my research before we went so I had no idea as to what Marte looked like and he wasn't announced as being in attendance but guys kept showing up. We saw a guy that we thought might be Marte, but we weren't sure. After the 1st inning, Jeff won one of the door prizes. You got to pick what you wanted off a table. Assorted prizes were t-shirts (the crappy ones they shoot out of those air guns), hats celebrating the Bisons 2004 championship, a media guide, and bobblehead/figurines. He chose the media guide (I would've chose the Jhonny Peralta figurine). So we're sitting there looking at the photos in the guide and the guy we thought was Marte, closely resembled the photo in the book. I still wasn't sure. We were talking about having him sign the media guide to see if it was him, but before we got that far we found out it was catcher Eianr Diaz. Marte wasn't in attendance so I was bummed. But I left with a ticket to an upcoming game to a game against the Yankees farm team and a belly full of chicken wings. Good times.
Now we just need Mother Nature to cooperate so we can get back to some baseball!! When I was driving home, they mentioned on the radio (the White Sox feed on XM) that they were estimating that around 10:30 the delay would be over. Well, it's 10:35 and I'm still waiting. Aaargh. When it comes on, I hope the wife won't mind me kicking her off the TV so I can watch the game in HD. Who cares about Grey's Anatomy?? It's baseball season baby!
J

0 comments: