Monday, April 3, 2006

Looks Like They Learned Their Lesson

If anyone saw last year's Yankee season preview on the YES Network might remember the round table discussion at the end of the broadcast, where the announce crew gave their prediction for how many games the Yankees would win. They all made guesses that the win total would be well over 100 games. If memory serves me correctly, Michael Kay threw out a number around 120. I just got finished watching "Yankees 2006: Pride, Power and Pinstripes" on DVR. The last segment of the show was another roundtable discussion made up of the same crew from the year before (was it me or did Michael Kay look like he put on a few pounds? -- and put some socks on, would ya?). The first thing that popped into my head was whether or not they'd all make the same ridiculous predictions again? I think they learned their lesson because they didn't even go there. The big question was, and I'll paraphrase: Will the East be a two-team race? Nothing about a win total. After the inane predictions they all made last year, I can't blame them. And of course, they all took the Yankees to win the East. And I can't blame that for that either.
I get the impression that this year is going to be special for the Yankees. Not only do the Yankees look good on paper, but they also seem to have a little of that chemistry back that's been missing since 2000. Am I the only one that has that feeling? I think that was something that started last season during the huge comeback they made from their horrendous start. The way they all came together to claw their was back to .500 and then winning the division title in Boston was just the beginning. Even the addition of Damon seems like a fit. God knows that the Yankees and Damon have seen quite a bit of each other over the last few seasons.
I can't wait until 10pm!! I wish I lived on the west coast. You wake up in the morning and sporting events on the east coast are starting. No staying up until 1-2 in the morning to watch a game with a 3-hour rain delay. Sports all day and a good nights sleep. I could live with that.
J

0 comments: