Monday, April 3, 2006

Jinxed

Every April my in-laws go to Vegas for a month. Last year they left after the Yankees beat the Red Sox on Opening Day. While they were gone, the Yankees were absolutely terrible. When they returned, the Yankees started winning. I totally blamed them for that, telling them that they jinxed the Bombers. I totally believe in jinxes. The announcer makes a comment that so-and-so has never hit a home run off the pitcher. If he's on the opposing team, he no doubt will go yard. If he's on your team, he'll whiff. It happens way too often. Stupid announcers.
My wife and in-laws think it's funny. I won't let them leave the room if the Yankees are winning, or I'll make them sit in the same spot if they're doing well or switch things up when they're not. Superstitious? Yes. But aren't most baseball players/fans? Check out the book "Jinxed: Baseball Superstitions From around The Major Leagues." It's a good read. Rather interesting.
They just made it to Vegas last night (they drive from Buffalo). My Father-in-law asked me if there were any games he should bet on. I only saw pitching matchups for Monday so I told him to lay it on the Brewers, and also the Astros. Also, I told him to bet the house on the Cardinals and Yankees for their home openers. Those are my 5-star locks of the year. Take 'em to the bank.
Can't wait until tonight!!
J

0 comments: