Saturday, April 1, 2006

Your 2006 Hamburglers

If you read my last post, then you know my fantasy league had its draft last night. Again, it was an auto-draft based on pre-rankings. I'm pleased, but I didn't quite get what I was expecting.
I ended up with pick #2. My friend Dan, who landed the first pick, drafted Pujols. He and I were on the same wavelength as we had Albert as our number one. With the 2nd pick of the draft I selected A-Rod. How can I complain about that? He's a guarantee to put up MVP type numbers.
The draft is in snake format so I had quite a ways to go before my team's 2nd pick. I ended up with Travis Hafner, who I had moved up to #11 on my list. It's funny to use the phrase "ended up with," as it makes it sound as if he's not wanted. Since I had such a low pick in the round, my 3rd round selection was almost right after the 2nd. The system selected Chone Figgins, who I had ranked at 19. I was very pleased to get 3 guys who I had in my top 20. Not a bad way to start things.
I was really hoping to land a #1 starter in the early part of the draft as well, but ended up falling victim to my "closer" strategy. Rounds 4 through 6 had my team acquiring Lidge, Street, and Nathan. I also landed Ryan Dempster in round 13, so I no doubt have the best set of closers in our league. There are some teams that didn't get any so I'll definitely have the ammo to make a trade or two, as even having two of the closers gives me an edge over most of my foes.
The first SP I drafted was Francisco Liriano in round 7. I had moved him up in my list but honestly thought I'd get him as a 3rd starter later in the draft. I guess I messed something up. Hopefully the pending DWI doesn't hinder his playing time. My starters are definitely my team's weakest area. The rest of my staff is made up of Daniel Cabrera, Paul Maholm, Jarrod Washburn, Nate Robertson, Dannys Baez, Rudy Seanez, Anthony Reyes, Rick Helling, Gil Meche and Fernando Rodney. Nothing to write home about. I'll need to make a trade to better myself as free agent pickings are slim.
The last thing I wanted to accomplish was to draft a bench made up of "rookies" who either will be in the starting line-up with their respective teams, or have the potential to be at some point during the year. My bench is made up of Ian Kinsler, Jeremy Hermida, Hanley Ramirez, Joey Gathright and Jeff Mathis. Mission accomplished. Most of the guys I wanted are still off everyone's radar and can always be picked up when I go the free agent route. The system selected based on my team's need for backups. I've already waived Gil Meche in hopes to land Ryan Zimmerman. That shouldn't be a problem when the system runs the request through the waiver wire. My bench is rounded out with Sean Casey, which isn't bad either.
My offensive line-up is pretty solid as well. In addition to A-Rod, Hafner, and Figgins the 2006 Hamburglers will feature Kenji Johjima behind the plate. Prince Fielder at 1b. Mark Ellis at SS. Preston Wilson, JD Drew and Geoff Jenkins make up my OF. It's not the best team I've ever fielded but it still should contend.
All things considered I'm pretty satisfied. Every team has a weakness. I unfortunately need to ensure that I can get 45 innings pitched every week. I think I need to pound the pavement and trade for one or two number 1 SPs in order to make that happen. With any luck I can do a deal today and have it pass through review before Opening Day. Wish me luck.
J

0 comments: