Monday, November 27, 2006

Bye Bye Bernie?

I heard a rumor today when I was listening to "Baseball This Morning" on XM Radio. If memory serves me correct, Orestes Destrade mentioned it. Orestes was the one that broke the rumor that the Red Sox had a bid higher than $50 million for Daisuke Matsuzaka, so I tend to think he knows what he's talking about when it comes to Japanese dealings. He did after all spend some time over there and I'm sure has many contacts.
He mentioned that the Yomiuri Giants were interested in signing Bernie Williams to a 2-year deal. While I don't want to see this happen, the move probably would make a lot of sense to Bernie. He obviously wants to play everyday and he's not going to get the chance in NY. He had a solid year last year and can probably still bring it. If I'm Bernie, I'd want to play everyday and I'd only want to play in Pinstripes if I stayed in MLB. He's been a career Yankee. I can't imagine he'd want to play anywhere else. Perhaps Japan makes the most sense.
I hope to see Bernie back in 2007. I think he can still bring a lot to the table. I wrote a piece called "Bring Back Bernie" back in late October. If you want to read the post on why I wanted to see him back, feel free to click on the link.
If anything, I really hope that the Yankee uniform is the only one Bernie dons as a Major Leaguer. I really hope if he decides not to retire and come back as a Yankee, he considers Japan before he signs anywhere else. It wouldn't seem right to see him wear another uniform.
J

0 comments: