Saturday, November 4, 2006

Mo Fo Mo

Get you head out of the gutter. I'm not calling Mariano Rivera a mo fo. I like the sound of "Mo Fo Mo" better than "More For Mo." Perhaps none of you took it that way, but as soon as I typed the title, that's where my mind went. Anyway....
Mariano wants to renegotiate his contract this offseason:
"I want to talk to them about another contract; maybe two more years," Rivera said. "Hopefully we can do it soon, maybe before the season."
Memo to Cashman: give the man whatever he wants. If Mo ever pitches in another uniform, we'll have problems. Rivera is arguably the game's greatest closer ever. He's a sure fire Hall Of Famer, and he'll probably be elected on the first ballot. He's making it perfectly clear he wants to end his career the way it started, as a Yankee. I think I can speak for all Yankee fans when I say we want to see that happen. Mariano has said before that he wants to pitch in the new ballpark. It would only be fitting to have the greatest closer in Yankee history close down the original "House That Ruth Built" and then close his career in what can arguably be called "The House That Mo Helped A Great Deal To Build." Mo, Jorge, Jeter, and Bernie all have had a great deal to do with the Yankees success over the past 10 years. Even though Steinbrenner has the money to buy the world, I like to look at it as without them, this new stadium wouldn't be possible.
The article I linked above also has quotes from Mo on A-Rod:
"This guy, he's a great player. We're a better team with him; I hear people say we should trade him and I don't agree," Rivera said. "I don't think we lost because of Alex. We lost, period. The fans, everybody, they should be with him."
What a great quote. Short, sweet, and to the point. I'm not surprised that Mo has shared his thoughts on Alex. The two look to be good friends. When I was up in Toronto trying to get autographs at the Yankee hotel, I would see Alex, Mo and their wives go out to dinner together. They obviously have a rapport and it's good to see Mo speak out on Alex. I'm picking up what Mo is putting down. If you really think that the Yankees haven't won the World Series because of Alex Rodriguez, well, to quote Dickie Roberts, former child star, you're nucking futs. Losing is a team effort. The Yankees are suppose to be a machine. If one part falters, there are enough parts of the machine to keep it moving forward. You can't point the finger at one person. If anything, you can argue that without Alex, the Yankees wouldn't even have made it as far as they did. They tied the Red Sox for the AL East in 2005. Take A-Rod out of the lineup and that probably doesn't happen. He was the freakin' MVP that year. He's quite possibly the best player the game will ever see. Alex needs a break and it needs to start with the fans.
Memo to all: keep him in Pinstripes.
J

0 comments: