Saturday, November 25, 2006

We Want A Pitcher Not A Belly Itcher (Or A Guy Named Carl Pavano)

I was catching up on some reading today and came across a piece from the NY Post. From what it sounds like, we can expect to see everyone's favorite bust, Carl Pavano, back in Pinstripes and on the bump next year. Happy happy joy joy. Enter sarcasm here.
"I have [$16 million] in Johnson for next year so he is part of the five," Cashman said of the 43-year-old lefty who had back surgery in October. "I have $20 million over the next two years in Pavano, so he is part of the five."
If true, the Yankee rotation shapes up to be Wang, Mussina, Johnson, and Pavano with one open spot. Not what I would call threatening and it's far from what I would consider to be a postseason rotation. I can only assume that from Cashman's statement that the Yankees can't have Pavano's contract voided. He failed to disclose an auto accident and his injuries from the accident. Pavano trustworthy? Not so much. $20 million is a lot of money and I can understand why you can't just sever all ties. I think I can speak for 99% of Yankee fans when we say "trade Pavano." Cut your losses. He's not worth the headaches.
The Yankees are in need of a strong starter to fill that open spot. From what's on their radar, it's nothing I'm terribly excited about. The article mentions Gil Meche and Ted Lilly. I'm doing cartwheels. Enter more sarcasm here. Don't get me wrong, they're solid pitchers, but they won't get us to the promised land. The article calls the Yankees interest in these two, "lukewarm." It doesn't sound as if the Yankees are terribly excited either. The article also states "that the Yankees insist they aren't going to be players for Barry Zito." Personally, I think Zito is the best free agent the Yankees could get. But there is something that scares me about bringing him in, and that's the disappointments that mark Mulder and Tim Hudson have been since they've left Oakland. Oakland has a lot of foul territory and if you connect the dots, you can make the conclusion that these pitchers have been aided by the extra outs they racked up from what would be a foul ball anywhere else. I don't know how to quantify that. It's a theory, and it's one a buy into. Jeff Suppan is still available, though his name hasn't been mentioned in some while. I'm fine with that.
According to the article there is also a rumor that the Yankees may post a bid on Japanese lefty Kei Agawa. I don't know much about him, but from what I've read and seen from his stats, he may not be a bad option. I don't think the Yankees will break the bank if they do in fact post a bid, so I wouldn't be surprised if he lands somewhere else, likely Seattle from what I hear.
Right now I don't think the Yankees should promote from within. At least not right out the gate. They have the talent, but I don't think they are yet the caliber of pitcher that will solve the Yankees problems. I've previously discussed my thought on moving Scott Proctor to the rotation. Again, bad idea. So where would that leave the Yankees?
I'm starting to warm up to the idea of trying to bring back Andy Pettitte. He's been there, he's done that, and he's done it in a Yankee uniform. We know he can succeed on the big stage. And you never know, bring in Andy and you might be able to bring in Roger also. If you have the ability to bring in Roger Clemens, you do it. Getting Andy Pettitte to wear your uniform is a step in the right direction. It might be a little harder for the Yankees to sway Pettitte away from the Astros seeing that they just signed Carlos Lee and Woody Williams. The 'Stros are committed to winning. It would be pretty easy for Andy to stay in Houston if he chooses not to retire. I'm not sure if Pettitte wants to come back to New York. I remember when my friend and I were driving back from Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS (ugh bad night) we were listening to sports talk radio, probably WFAN, and a caller called in and brought up Andy Pettitte. He brought up some rumor that Andy left NY because of an ultimatum he was given by his wife. He was allegedly cheating on her, she found out, and said either we're out of here or I'm out of here with all your money. If true, that's incentive to leave and it's incentive not to come back. But for all I know, it's urban legend. If anybody knows the story, feel free to share.
It looks like the Yankees could have some pitching woes in 2007. I'm sure Cashman has a plan. He knows Steinbrenner wants a winner and quite frankly, what we have now isn't a winner. Come on Brian. Give us an early Christmas present, would ya?
Hope you all had a great holiday.
J

0 comments: