Thursday, November 30, 2006

Yankees Hot Stove Recap

Another episode of "Yankee Hot Stove" was on the YES network tonight. If you have YES and haven't checked the show out, I suggest you do. It's good stuff. Brian Cashman was on the show today and was fielding questions from Joel Sherman and Tom Verducci. The main thing I took away from the discussion is that Brian Cashman is more than happy to go into battle with the current Yankee roster. He acknowledged that they could upgrade in areas, but mentioned that he has internal candidates to fill every opening, with the exception of a utility infielder, and he isn't concerned about trying to trade for or sign anyone, but will if it makes sense. Now I'm sure he's not going to openly talk about players he's pursuing, but I kind of believe him when he talks about not needing anyone. I think his main objective is cutting down on the payroll and the way to do that is to go with the young talent and not land the expensive free agent. He mentioned that the Yankees incur an extra $.40 on the dollar for every payroll dollar they spend because of the luxury tax. So a guy with a $10 million dollar salary, really costs the Yankees $14 million when all is said and done. I can understand why he wants to cut costs.
If the Yankees head into 2007 with their current roster, they are going to be relying a lot on the offense to win games. I think the lineup is better this year than it was last year, and last year's was arguably the best lineup in history. I think Abreu is a huge upgrade over Sheffield. Giambi won't be as run down if he is the full-time DH. And Alex can't possibly continue to "slump," can he? Assuming everyone stays healthy and performs to their potential, 1000 runs isn't out of the question. The real question is can the pitching staff keep opposing runners from scoring? I think so, but I'm skeptical, and rightfully so. But if you've got a potent offense, you can afford to have a shoddy rotation.
The winter meetings start next week and I'm not expecting a lot from Cashman. I've heard the Melky/Humberto for Dontrelle Willis rumor, and while I'm all for it, I know it's highly unlikely. I'm a betting man and if I had to bet on the 2007 roster, I'd bet you're going to see Andy Phillips at 1B. I don't think we'll be seeing Shea Hillenbrand or anyone else in Pinstripes. I'm pretty sure the rotation is going to consist of Wang, Mussina, Johnson, Pavano, and Igawa, with Hughes, Sanchez, Karstens, Clippard and Rasner filling in if needed, or in the event of an injury. Personally, I hope the Yankees still make a pitch to Andy Pettitte. But again, I'm not sure Cashman is interested in spending the money. He feels he already has a winner. Me, I'm not so sure.
Peace, love and Pinstripes.
J

0 comments: